Wildest Dream

The third part of High School AU series

***

An hour later, Taylor sat comfortably in Karlie's car, heading toward the beach. Loud music blasted from the radio, competing with the roaring wind as they speed on the highway. Karlie drove with one hand on the steering wheel and the other resting on the opened window. She had this peaceful look on her face, completed with a contented lopsided smile. Taylor found herself kept glancing at Karlie, liking what she saw sitting on the driver seat. Karlie's brunette locks were mussed by the blowing wind. The initial uneasiness of skipping school had forgotten entirely, replaced by a thrill of doing something unexpected for once. Taylor had to admit that Karlie might been right, that she could use some fun once in a while. It was even more unsettling that someone like Karlie that brought this new perspective to her. There was something different and intriguing about this girl that made Taylor curious and wanting to find out whatever the next crazy plan of hers.

"This is fun, huh?" Karlie glanced sideways, checking up on the girl beside her.

"Hmm. We'll see." Taylor teased.

"Oh, come on!" Karlie groaned playfully. "We escape the town and are heading to the beach! What could be more exciting than this? Physic class?"

"Fine," Taylor finally relented, laughing in abandon. "You're right. This is actually fun."

"See? You're see things my way already." Karlie were smiling proudly at her accomplishment. "You're more fun now. Or funner? Who would guess that the princess can actually laugh this carefree?"

"Don't push it," Taylor warned playfully, shoving Karlie's shoulder a little too forcefully.

"Hey!" Karlie protested. "I'm driving!"

"Oh, please. Don't be such a baby."

"Geez," Karlie made a show of rubbing her shoulder, "I think I like you better when you're all uptight."

"Who's acting like a princess now, huh?" Taylor continued to tease.

Then she rubbed Karlie's shoulder too, at first in a playful way, which in turn grew into an affectionate one. The gentle caress made Karlie took her eyes off the road to the hand that were resting on her shoulder. As if just realizing it herself, Taylor pulled her hand away instantly. She was starting to blush, so she shifted her gaze toward the blurry view from the window. Even that Taylor's hand had already gone, Karlie still could feel her skin tingling over the touch. It was an interesting development, Karlie thought. She didn't know what Taylor's preferences was, as the girl had never been seen with a man nor a woman. The girl was very attractive, Karlie thought. It was a shame that they came from completely different worlds. It would be disastrous, being together with a girl like Taylor. Karlie drove the thoughts away with a mental shrug, not wanting to go in that direction.

"Hey!" Taylor suddenly exclaimed excitedly. "I can already see the beach!"

True to her statement, the sight of blue expanse of the sea was getting closer as they sped along the road. The wind was blowing the fresh ocean air, which Taylor took in happily. The salty air lured Taylor to pop her head out of the window, basking in the glorious weather of the day. Karlie grinned at the childish act of her friend. She looked too adorable.

"You look like my dog over there, minus the hanging tongue."

Taylor rolled out her tongue at Karlie, making the girl laughed. It was surprising that Karlie's teasing comments didn't bug her as much now. Maybe because they were getting along, Taylor mused. Karlie was smiling at her, watching Taylor enjoying the fresh air of the beach. It transformed the usually uptight girl entirely. The sight of beaming Taylor sent uncomfortable tingles into Karlie's stomach. Uh oh.