Back To December

First part of Love Story Series (Finale Chapters)

***

"How are you?"

"Everything just seems wrong without you."

Karlie was visiting Taylor on her Nashville home. The singer had disappeared from public's eyes for a long time, there might be some missing person reports being filed. They said she was working on her new album. It was half of the truth. The other half was a little more complicated than that. The truth was both Taylor and Karlie agreed that they need some time alone to figure out what they want to do. Whether they were strong enough to take the final leap and survive the jump. Or maybe it was not enough, what they had, to lay everything on the line.

After two months being apart, only seeing each other briefly from time to time, they finally met again. Karlie had already had her answer. Now she was about to find out Taylor's. Karlie had never felt this nervous, not even when she had her first runway gig for New York Fashion Week. She had never wanted something this bad. She had never had so much to lose.

"I miss you," she spoke softly.

Taylor rewarded her with an endearing smile, which always made her heart skipped a beat. They just soaked in each other's presence for a while, letting this calming feeling washing over them, whenever they were together. Karlie gazed deep into those amazing blue eyes and felt contentment as she was sure that she saw love there. They could pretend all they want to the public, but these eyes didn't lie. Karlie could see it. She knew Taylor could see it. As clear as today's sky. They were in love and those things just wouldn't go away.

"I miss you too, baby," Taylor replied with that same dazzling smile.

"How's the album going?"

Taylor grinned excitedly, like a little kid.

"It's going to be great. I'm almost done with it. I can't wait for you to hear it, Karlie."

"Am I going to be the first one to hear your new album again?"

"Well, of course. Your opinion's what matters the most to me."

Karlie smirked teasingly. "Should I expect a couple of songs about me?"

"Duh," Taylor snorted. "Try the whole album."

"Yeah?"

Taylor nodded, looking downward while smiling shyly. "You're all I can think about these days, Karlie. Of course everything will be about you."

Karlie blushed furiously over Taylor's confession. Neither of them could find another words as a response to that moment so they just let it sank over.

"I'm sorry I missed everything," Taylor spoke in a hushed tone, like she was too afraid to say it out loud. "All of your big moments."

"It's okay. I got the flowers, you know."

"It's not enough," Taylor shook her head sadly. "I wanted to be there, in person. I really did."

"But you couldn't," Karlie finished Taylor's sentence. "It's okay. I understand. We both have agreed that it's the best for now."

"For now," Taylor repeated, more to herself. "Until how long?"

"As long as you need."

"We can't keep ignoring the elephant in the room, can we?" Taylor's lips curled into a sad smile. "Is this why you came over?"

"Partly," Karlie admitted. "But mostly just because I missed you."

"Have you found your answer yet?"

Karlie studied Taylor's face before she answered. She gazed at the scared big blue eyes and wondered whether Taylor's answer might not be the one she didn't want to hear.

"Yes. I've ended the contract with Josh last week. I'm free now."

"I see," Taylor spoke so softly, Karlie almost didn't catch it. "I'm so glad to hear it, Karlie."

Karlie watched Taylor sunk lower into her seat, her fingers toyed with the napkin. She didn't meet Karlie's gaze, neither she said further. She definitely didn't look happy with the news. She looked rather conflicted, yet it didn't surprise Karlie much. She had even expected this kind of reaction from her girlfriend (were they still girlfriends?). That was just the way it was with Taylor. Complicated. But she wouldn't have it any other way. She loved her, every single piece of her complications.

"Tay," Karlie reached out her hand to hold Taylor's. "I didn't come here to pressure you into giving me answers."

Taylor looked up to meet Karlie's reassuring eyes. She squeezed Karlie's hand, finding the strength which they both needed that time. One look into Karlie's eyes, Taylor instantly knew that Karlie understood her silence, her doubts. It wasn't because they weren't so madly in love with each other. Or that Taylor still had lingering doubts about their relationship. Taylor had known that Karlie was special the moment she first met her at VSFS. Ever since then, Karlie had never proven her wrong.

"I just want you to know," Karlie's voice quivered a little, for bearing so much emotions into words.  She let out a shaky breath then smiled sheepishly. "I just want you to know that I'm going all in with this relationship. There's nothing else for me. Only you."

Taylor choked back her tears. "I wish I could give you an answer right here, right now, Karlie."

"Oh, baby," Karlie cupped Taylor's cheek, brushing her thumb against the satin smooth skin. "We've been waiting for a long, long time for this. We don't need to rush. I don't want you to. Being here with you, that's all I will ever need."

"But," Taylor shook her head sadly, "you deserve more than this."

"Sometimes," a dreamy smile played on Karlie's lips, "I questioned myself. What did I do to deserve you?"