New Year's Day

Taylor gave stink eyes to Olivia, who was purring loudly on Karlie's lap. She watched Karlie's slender fingers scratching Olivia's scruff and the look of total contentment on her cat's face. Taylor knew that it had been weeks since Karlie was on her apartment and probably her cat had been missing her too, but Olivia was totally stealing her thunder right now. Taylor looked at the other side of the room, where Meredith laying lazily on the window's ledge. Taylor called her, thinking that maybe she should just cuddle with her slightly overweight cat. Meredith didn't show any signs that she heard her. She didn't even move a muscle. Even Meredith ignored me.  Sighing, Taylor accepted her destiny to sit alone that night.

"Why are you pouting like that?" Karlie's voice woke her from her sulking.

"No, it's nothing," Taylor blushed, totally didn't want to seem like a jealous kid.

Karlie's wiggled her finger. "Oh, I know that look. You are upset about something."

"It's silly. Really," Taylor sighed.

Karlie arched her eyebrow and kept her questioning look sharp.

"It is just that," Taylor dragged her words, "I want to cuddle too. It is silly, right?"

Karlie couldn't stop herself from laughing, which only made Taylor pouted and blushed some more. The taller girl shook her head at her girlfriend's shenanigan. Her pop queen girlfriend was jealous of her own cat. Sometimes it was so refreshing to have little moments like this. The little moments that seemed so normal, away from the circus which always plagued their everyday lives.

"No, it is not silly, baby." Karlie patted the cushion close beside her and opened her arm wide. "Come here."

Taylor considered it for a while with her arms crossed across her chest. Does she want to keep her cool girl act and have adult conversation while her cat steals her girlfriend? Or does she want to be that clingy girlfriend who cannot even be remotely away from her loved one? Karlie watched Taylor having her internal debate with an amused smile on her face. She already knew which side would win.

"Okay," Taylor finally said, getting up from her seat.

"Sorry, kitty," Karlie cooed as she moved Olivia to the sofa in front of her. "It's your mommy's turn now."

Taylor padded to Karlie's side and rested her head on her lap as her long legs dangled on the edge of the sofa. Karlie's hand automatically brushed Taylor's bangs to the side and absently played with Taylor's soft hair.

"I like that you decided to bring back your curly hair," Karlie commented.

"Yeah?" Taylor looked up straight to her green eyes, smiling.

"Absolutely," Karlie leaned down to kiss Taylor softly. "It takes me back to the time when I were just fourteen years old and having this huge crush on this new rising country star."

"Oooh," Taylor gigled. "Was I your school girl's crush?"

"Oh, I wasn't talking about you," Karlie deadpanned.

"Hey!" Taylor protested and bopped Karlie on the nose.

Tilting her head back, Karlie swatted Taylor's arm away from her face while laughing.

"Of course it was you!" The taller girl muttered while cradling her girlfriend's cheeks gently. "I can't believe I finally got you and got to keep you."

"This is nice, huh?" Taylor whispered, while her eyes searching Karlie's.

"The nicest," Karlie agreed, landing another kiss to Taylor's forehead.

They cuddled like that for a while. In silence, absolutely comfortable in each other's company. Karlie's constant touch against her hair made Taylor's eyes felt heavy. She nuzzled her way closer to Karlie's warm chest and looped her arms around her midsection.

"Taylor," Karlie called in the softest whisper.

"Hmm?"

"I know that this is  not going as easy or as fast as we would like," Karlie said, "but I want you to know that once we are both ready, nobody is going to dare to stop us."

"We are almost there, baby."

"I know. Happy New Year, baby. I am sorry it took me awhile to come home."