Sparks Fly

The seventh part and finale of High School AU Series

***

Hi," Karlie then smiled sheepishly, cursing herself for being terribly awkward in front of Taylor, who looked dazzling in her red dress by the way. "Um, can we talk?"

Taylor perked up instantly, rising from her seat to greet Karlie. "Sure. Come in."

"First, I'd like to say that you are totally amazing back there. I was in awe the whole time and I couldn't take my eyes off of you. Secondly, did I mention that you look beautiful in this dress? Because you do, which only make it hard for me to stop staring at you."

Taylor smiled affectionately at the girl in front of her, who was obviously rambling out of nervousness. She usually looked so calm and collected, but Karlie's nervousness was apparent to night. Karlie shuffled on her feet, not being able to keep still. Unsure of wanting to flee and just forget everything or rushing into Taylor and never let go. Maybe a little bit of both, Karlie admitted. It scared her, her decision to let Taylor in. Baring everything in her to be left out in the open. But it was either this or nothing at all. Karlie took a deep breath.

"Before we talk about us, I need you to know something."

Karlie took a deep breath before she finally surrendered her secrets to Taylor.

"I didn't even bother to finish high school because I have nothing waits for me after. No parents to come to my graduation. No concrete plans for the future. Nothing to wait for."

It was so unexpected, Taylor couldn't think of anything to say to that. She just did what's left for her to do. Listen.

"I realized that I'm gay two years ago. Then I got myself a girlfriend and went behind my parents' back for almost a year. Only then, everything seemed make sense to me. It was one of the happiest memories in my life. It's actually funny that the very same thing got me into this living hell I am in."

Taylor motioned to Karlie to take a seat, which she complied. Then she dragged a seat beside her and sat there. Taylor reached out and held Karlie's hand as she spoke. Karlie unconsciously let out a sour smile, probably reliving the memories inside of her head. She shook her head, banishing away her dark times.

"Then I got caught. It all went to hell from there. The girl who I thought I loved turned her back against me, afraid of the truth that about to come out. My parents were so mad at me. There were yelling, crying and some more yelling. I didn't know what to do. My mind went blank and I was so afraid of the outcomes. My parents pretended that I do not exist ever since. They still support me until I finished high school then I have to get out."

"Oh, Karlie," Taylor got up to held Karlie, who was still fighting with her demons. "I'm so sorry, baby. I'm sorry it happened to you."

"That's why I was so mad and hurt when you disappeared without even a word. It felt like it was happening all over again."

Karlie's sorrowful eyes looked up to find Taylor's, who was cradling her cheeks in her hands. Taylor swallowed, cursing her cowardice act which had caused so much pain for the girl that had gone though a lot.

"I'm sorry, Karlie. I-" Taylor shuck out a shaky breath. "I didn't know. I'm sorry."

"Don't get me wrong. I wasn't mad at you, at least not now. I completely understand. I know exactly how it feels. The fear, the despair. That and more. I went through that and I don't want that for you. So I totally understand if you want to let this end now."

"But I just can't let you go. I know," Karlie put her hand over her heart, "deep in here that something like this," then she moved her hand to cup Taylor's cheek, "something like you won't come twice into my life."