Speak Now

The third and last part of Enchanted, You Belong With Me, Speak Now trilogy

***

Giggles kept coming to Karlie's coffee shop, flirting relentlessly with the cute baker, all the while Taylor could only gritted her teeth from behind her laptop screen. Karlie was lukewarm to the blonde bombshell at first, by only giving her polite responses. Taylor thought Giggles would get bored and give up at one point. But apparently it was true that persistence gave results. Either it was her obvious beauty or her sensuous approach, Giggles finally got Karlie paid some kind of attention to her. After a full-on flirting for two whole weeks, Taylor found Karlie flirted back to Giggles from behind the counter. She was playfully teasing the girl about something and Giggles was on nine cloud high. The blonde bitch even dared to touch Karlie's toned arm seductively as she gave her an oh-so-extra laugh at Karlie's joke.

"Gosh, you're so funny, Kar!"

"Well, I'm glad someone finally noticed!" Karlie retorted back with a playful wink.

"Anyway, are you busy this weekend? There's this play that I want to see on Broadway and I would really like for you to come with me."

Giggles batted her long eyelashes at Karlie. "You know, in case it's a total snore fest. Then maybe we could find something much more interesting to do."

Karlie stood back with a sly smirk on her face, observing the hopeful girl. "Hmm. Let me think about it, okay? Because I usually work on weekends too."

Giggles didn't stop at that, she let out a pitiful whine. "Oh, come on, Kar! I promise you'll have a good time with me."

Karlie got the innuendo behind Giggles' promise. The girl could definitely give her a good time alright. She had a banging body and a little restrain within her. There was no doubt about what the girl's definition of a good time was.

"I'll think about it."

***

"Hey," Karlie said, slipping into the booth in front of Taylor's. "You seem really quiet these days."

"Oh," Taylor looked up, slightly surprised. "Hey, Kar. Closing already?"

"Yeah," Karlie grinned as she rested her back against the comfy seat. "You're the last one."

"Aw, I'm sorry. I got a little too carried away sometimes."

"Nah, it's okay. It's a quiet day anyway." Karlie dropped her intense gaze on Taylor. She was curious about the change of attitude of the cute nerd. "So, how's it going, Tay? Did you finish that script of yours?"

"Yeah, I did," Taylor nodded excitedly. "I just submitted it this morning actually."

"Can I see it? Maybe, someday?"Karlie asked hopefully.

Taylor examined Karlie's eager smile, wondering why Karlie still gave her the time of day. Maybe she was just that friendly, Taylor reasoned. Karlie always spent time to chat with the costumers and made them felt special.

"Maybe," Taylor replied playfully.

"Okay," Karlie laughed. "I'll let you get back to your work. I still have to clean the place up."

Karlie got up and was starting to walk back when Taylor's curiosity and maybe jealousy got the best of her.

"Karlie!" She said, abruptly.

Karlie turned her head and looked at Taylor curiously. "Yeah?"

"Are you going to that show with Giggles?" Taylor was blushing furiously, starting to regret her blabber mouth midway of her sentence.

"Giggles?" Karlie said amusedly, finding Taylor's nickname for her friend kind of hilarious. She threw the blushing writer a wicked grin. "So you've been paying attention, huh?"

"Well, not really. I just got bored of my work and overheard it," Taylor stammered.

"Interesting," Karlie crossed her arms, a smug smirk was playing on her lips. "If I didn't know better, I'd say that you're jealous, Taylor."

"I'm starting to regret this conversation." Taylor sighed. "Can we just pretend that I've never said that?"

Karlie rolled her shoulders. "Not happening. Well, I'm still thinking about it. Maybe if someone gave me a better proposition, I would go with that instead."

Oh, my gosh. Taylor knew that this was her opening. She should just asked Karlie out now and that was it. No more Giggles in the picture. Taylor's heart beat fast and her palms were starting to sweat. Come on, Taylor! Don't be a coward!

"Uh.." Smooth she was not.

Karlie raised her eyebrow expectantly, still waiting for Taylor's response. Taylor ducked her head down, cursing her cowardice and awkwardness. She knew that she didn't have the guts to ask someone as gorgeous like Karlie blatantly. Taylor muttered some lame excuses while she started packing her things. Karlie's smile fell and she walked back to the counter with disappointment in her heart. Maybe I was reading her all wrong.

***

Karlie pulled up the last chair onto the table with a huff. She was thinking her last exchange with Taylor the whole time she cleaned up the coffee shop. Giggles was interesting enough, but it was the shy writer that caught her eyes the most. It was a shame that Taylor didn't pick her cue then. Maybe she should just ask her out? But what if Taylor is straight? Or just isn't interested in her? So many questions filled her head, Karlie was too preoccupied to notice the door bell's chime. It was the rushed footsteps that caught Karlie's attention.

"Taylor? I thought you already left?"

Taylor was heavily breathing from running for two blocks back to the coffee shop. She regretted her choking up for every steps of her walk back to her apartment. She didn't want the infamous 'what if' haunted her for years to come. She wanted to be brave and took the chances for once.

"Yeah, but I forgot something."

"Huh? Really?" Karlie looked around the empty place. "Well, I didn't found anything when I cleaned your table."

"Umm," Taylor hesitated. Then she took a deep breath and braced herself.

"I forgot to ask you out for coffee or a movie next weekend?"

A surprised, yet pleased smile grew slowly on Karlie's face. Atta, girl.

"Uh," Taylor's nervousness started to make her babbling. "Would it count as cheating if you go to other coffee shops? We could go here too, but I think a different setting would be great for us. Though nowhere could beat your delicious cakes, of course."

"Taylor," Karlie prompted, stopping Taylor's rapid rambling. "It sounds great. I would love to go for coffee or movie with you. And no, it won't count as cheating."

"Though, I must say that you have an unique way of thinking sometimes." Karlie added as an afterthought.

"What can I say? I'm a writer or a scriptwriter. A bizzare mind is just another requirement."

Karlie laughed and approached Taylor. She smiled affectionately at the shorter girl and wrapped her arm around Taylor's shoulder. "Come on, you dork. Let me walk you back to your apartment."

Taylor happily followed Karlie's step as she led them out of the coffee shop. She marveled at the comforting and exciting weight of Karlie's arm on her shoulders. They just walked in comfortable silence for a while.

"Hey, Taylor."

"Hmm?"

"It's about damn time you asked me out."

"Sorry. I think we should thank Giggles for that."

"Yeah, we do." Karlie laughed, then added. "And it's not Giggles. Her name is Toni."

"Whatever."