Getaway Car

Karlie nodded along the loud music blasting from her car stereo. She was speeding along the highway, going faster than the limit. She sang along her favorite song, banging her fist against the steering wheel in tune with the bass lines. From the corner of her eyes, she saw an opening on her left. Twisting her wheel, she took a sharp turn which made the car behind her honked loudly. She was a careless driver. Like the worst. It was so bad, to the point where her friends prayed before they entered her car.

A loud chime came from her phone. The screen lit up, tempting Karlie to glance at it briefly to see the pop up notification. It was from the girl she had a huge crush on. Sweet. Karlie reached for her phone while her other hand holding the steering wheel lazily. She alternated her vision between her phone screen and the road. The girl just sent her a selfie and it was holier than heaven above.

Karlie was too busy admiring the cute dimples on the girl's face to see the speeding car beside her, turning into her lane. It was only several seconds before collision when Karlie saw the incoming car. Shrieking, she swerved to her left. Then everything was black.

***

"Wake up, you idiot!"

A strange voice coming from distant away. Her ears were ringing and her body hurt everywhere. The smell of smoke and gasoline colluding her senses. The strange voice kept yelling at her, urging her to wake up. Karlie tried to open her eyes, slowly. She blinked. The world was blurry and she panicked.

"Oh, god. You're really making this hard for me."

The stranger took her dangling arm and dragged her out of her car. Karlie groaned loudly. Her body felt like it was going to break into pieces. Yet the stranger carried on, not minding Karlie's protests. They only stopped when both of them a safe distance away from the burning car.

"You are welcome," the stranger spoke again.

Karlie shielded her eyes, trying to make out the stranger's face. After a while the picture came into focus and she was looking at the most angelic face she had ever seen. Gosh, my hero is hot as hell.

"Actually, I would like to not be linked with hell, thank you very much. I am not from there. The contrary actually."

"Huh?"

The beautiful stranger sighed, like Karlie had made life difficult for her somehow. She pressed her lips tightly, as if considering about something. Then she threw back her shoulder, as if saying, 'oh, screw it'.

"You might not know me, but Karlie, you are such a pain in the ass."

Karlie tried to get into sitting position. She was confused and mildly offended. Sure, she was thankful that this stranger might had possibly saved her life. But it wasn't like she had to do it, then called her a pain in the ass afterwards.

"Excuse me?"

"Look around you," the stranger said, waving her arms around. "Didn't you notice anything strange?"

"Other than you? Nope."

The stranger rolled her eyes. "Try again. Aren't you confused why all of the other people do not come to the accident scene?"

"Well, this is New York. Nobody cares."

"Just look and pay some attention for once in your life!"

Karlie finally relented and did just what the stranger asked. It was kind of weird actually. The world around her moved in a kind of sluggish way. Like the spot where Karlie sat was a separated part from the rest.

"Oh god. Am I dead?"

"Not yet. Though you did a really good job at trying." Then the stranger gave a dramatic pause. "I am your guardian angel, Karlie."

The stranger, which apparently was her guardian angel, which Karlie wasn't really sure about because her lack of white wings, didn't give Karlie a chance to question it. She launched into a full on yammering, which probably she had kept inside for way too long.

"DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU MADE IT REALLY HARD FOR ME TO KEEP YOU ALIVE ALL THESE TIMES?"

"LIKE NOW, FOR INSTANCE. I HAD TO DRAG YOU OUT OF A BURNING CAR, WHEN MOST OF MY FRIENDS ONLY HAVE TO WARD OFF OCCASIONAL CREEPY EXES OR WHATEVER. BUT GOD FORBID IF KARLIE GETS INTO A NORMAL SITUATION WHERE EVERYTHING IS SAFE."

"Uh, sorry?"

"Sorry did you just say?" Her guardian angel exclaimed. "Normally, we don't show ourselves to our person. But no, sir. I am so fed up with you and from now on, you have to try to live a normal life AND BE A GOOD GIRL FOR ONCE!"

"Hey!" Karlie protested. "I am not that bad!"

"Oh, really," the angel mocked. "Do you want me to go through my list?"

"God, please no."

"Let's go through the list." The angel fetched a small notebook out of nowhere, flipping through pages. "On the age of thirteen, you started to smoke. And you never grow out of it! You smoke a carton a day! And I have to keep you alive until you past sixty? Are you kidding me?"

"You never wear seatbelt. You never pay attention when you drive, either you are too busy texting or jamming along your stupid music, which are all bad by the way. You always agree to your friend's stupid bets, which are terribly childish and potentially dangerous."

"Like what?" Karlie challenged when the angel stopped to take a breath.

"Don't you remember the time when your friend dared you to jump from that cliff to the lake? Or the time when you just saw Spiderman and attempted to do the upside down kiss with your stupid ex?"

Karlie chuckled at that. "Oh, yeah. Those were good times."

"For you! Not so good for me."

"So I take it that you are stuck with me?" Karlie considered, weighing her options. She is really cute. Especially when she is mad.

"Unfortunately, yes."

"Great. We are going to have so much fun together."

To be continued