Everything Has Changed Ch. 01

"Taylor!" Mama Andrea yelled at her wandering daughter, who was running around her grandparents' farm. "Don't go too far away from the farm!"

"Okay, Mama!" High-pitched voice of eight years old Taylor came from behind the bushes.

Austin was napping after their road trip to their grandparents house. Her parents were talking with gramps and granny, catching up with their lives. That left Taylor alone to keep herself entertained. Taylor got bored after half an hour talking with the adults. They were mostly asking her about school and her guitar and piano lessons. Taylor excused herself outside as soon as appropriately possible. She jumped around the yard, singing nonsense to herself as she examined the strange things at the expanse grass field. She had never seen such view back in her home in the city. Everything was in dull colors, when here was painted with vivid colors, just like how she'd imagine it in her crayon drawings.

"Everything is so green and pretty here," Taylor looked around in awe.

Then a field of wildflowers at the end of her grandparents' land caught her eyes. She had never seen so many flowers before! Not even in the shop where her dad would buy pretty flower for mum occasionally. Taylor started to run toward the field with girlish giggles. As she ran, Taylor spread her arms wide, feeling the wind blew past her. She zoomed past a group of chickens, which were flapping their wings in agitation. She muttered sorry as she continued her journey.

Then closer she got, the stronger the flowery scent of the field got. Taylor stopped momentarily, just to expanded her chest with the rich, fresh air and enjoyed the blissful moment like nobody but little kids could. Pure and unadulterated. Feeling enough, a wide grin grew on Taylor's face as she continued to run. The wildflower field was on the border between the farm land and a vast woods. Once, she asked her granpa what was behind the trees and granpa just smiled indulgently at her innocent question, before he placed a hand on her tiny shoulder and grinned wickedly.

"That's where the monsters live, Tay." Taylor let out a sharp gasp as she bought each of granpa's words. "Promise me to never go there without me or granny, okay?"

Taylor hesitated for a bit when she remembered granpa's words and her promise. Taylor mulled over her choices with her hands resting on her hips, her chin tilted stubbornly. She reasoned that she was still in the farm land, so it was okay for her to go over here. After all, she was already eight years old now, older enough to go on her own, unlike her six years old self. The monsters aren't real, anyway.

"Oh, pretty, pretty flowers. How you smell wonders. Oh, pretty, pretty flowers. Red roses, blue, lavender."

Taylor ran her fingers through the bed of flowers, feeling the velvety texture of its petals against her skin. Taylor crossed the wildflower field, singing loudly in a gleeful voice, making the words and tones as she went. The grass blades around her were getting and getting taller the closer she went to the woods. She was about to turn around when something caught her eyes.

"BUTTERFLIES!!" Taylor yelped excitedly.

She chased down the group of butterflies with colorful wings. The butterflies took off the instant Taylor got closer, heading toward the woods. Taylor was just too focused on the beautiful winged creatures, she didn't pay any attention to where she was heading. She seemed to already forget her granpa's warning and left the open field, heading toward the woods.

The butterflies led her farther down the forest, circling around the tall trees and dodging the dense bushes. Taylor's little feet started to hurt as the adrenaline had left her tired. Taylor finally stopped to catch her breath. When she looked down, Taylor groaned as she saw her cute baby blue dress was shredded by torn. Taylor frowned and looked around her, trying to get her bearing. Her heart jumped when she realized she got into the woods and didn't know where the hell she precisely was.

"Oh, no."

Taylor gulped hard as she looked back and didn't remember where she came from before. Every tree looked the same and they were looming over her. Taylor's little feet wandered aimlessly and she was starting to cry. Taylor was terrified, thinking that she would never see her parents and friends ever again. The eight years old was a tad dramatic that way.

"Hello?" A soft voice startled Taylor.

"Who's there?" Taylor squeaked.

"Hey, it's just me." A skinny girl stepped from behind a tree, holding her hands up. "Relax. Don't be afraid."

"Thank God you're not a monster." Taylor shoulder relaxed as she sighed.

"Monster?" The skinny girl repeated with clear amusement. "There's no monsters here, silly."

"Well, my granpa said so!" Taylor put her fists on her hips, already found her sass back.

"Okay," The girl said, still grinning. She stepped closer and noticed the dried tears on Taylor's cheek. "Why are you crying?"

Taylor felt cornered as the girl invaded her personal space with her innocent curiosity. Taylor examined the girl's face, still wary about her new friend. The girl gazed deeply, yet still gentle at the same time. Her eyes were so green, it blended quite nicely with the forest around them. They were bright and intelligent, with just a hint of mischief behind them. The girl's cheeks had a smudge of dirt, probably from playing around the forest all day. Yet she smelled nice, just like the flower field outside. The girl was smiling again, showing off deep dimples on her cheeks. Taylor decided right there that she liked the girl and they should be friends.

"No, I was just panicking when I realized I am lost."

"Oh, that's awful." The girl's forehead scrunched up in concern. "Where are you staying?"

"At a farm land near this woods."

The girl's brilliant green eyes lit up in recognition. "Hey, I know that place. It isn't that far from here. I can take you back if you want."

"Really?" Taylor let out a relieved breath. "That would be awesome. Thank you!"

Then Taylor realized she hadn't properly introduced herself yet. Taylor held out her hand. "Hey, I'm Taylor. What's your name?"

The girl flashed her cute dimples again, shaking Taylor's outstretched hand. "Hi, Taylor! I'm Karlie."