This Love

The final part of Kissgate series

***

A watched kettle never boils.

Karlie had been waiting for days. Anxiously, desperately. She was waiting for the green light from Taylor or her team, that finally, finally they could be together again. Then days became weeks and her hope was starting to falter. It was one of the hardest things she had ever done, keeping up a brave face when her heart was crumpling inside. She wanted to be supportive to Taylor, who had already started another stunt with WhatHisName. She just couldn't be around that, it was too hard for her.

It was killing Taylor too. Karlie had gone MIA ever since she walked out of her door that day. It was not only she had to put up with WhatHisName, she had to miss Karlie too. Taylor kept watching her phone screen, from time to time, waiting for a message that would never come. She understood why Karlie had to go, hopefully just for a while. God, Taylor hoped and hoped that Karlie wasn't gone for good. Because some days, it felt a lot like it. And it stung like hell, knowing that it was all her fault.

One day, Taylor just couldn't take all of the pressures. She snapped and went against her promise. Curling in a fetal position in her hotel bedroom, alone in the dark, she called Karlie. She wasn't picking up her phone. Taylor sighed and clutched her phone tightly to her chest. I need you. Taylor didn't give up there, she kept calling until Karlie finally picked up.

"Taylor?"

It was amazing how a single voice could do wonder to her spirit. The way Karlie said her name, it felt like a soothing drop of water in the middle of a drought. The corners of Taylor's lips tugged into a smile.

"Karlie," Taylor whispered, not quite believing that it was her girl on the other end of the line.

"What's wrong, Taylor?" She sounded concerned, probably because Taylor called her for like twenty times before she finally picked up.

"Everything," Taylor said in a pained voice. "I miss you. So, so much."

Karlie fell silent. Taylor's stomach churned, afraid that Karlie might hang up. Her heart was bursting in her chest as she waited for Karlie to speak, or hang up. Then a heavy sigh came from Karlie.

"I miss you too, Tay. It's hard for me too."

"I am sorry," Taylor held back her tears. "I wish everything's different."

"I know." Another sigh.

"Will you still be waiting for me? For us?"

"Honestly, I am not so sure anymore, baby. I feel like I'm dying here."

***

Karlie opened her eyes and breathed in relief when she remembered that she was free for the day. She drowned herself in work, just to get herself out of her own head. Even in the middle of her busy schedule, the thoughts of Taylor kept slipping into her mind. Karlie had a brunch date with Lily today. It lifted her spirit a little, meeting her friend. Someone who knew about her story so she wouldn't have to pretend for once.

"Hey, sweetie," Lily kissed her cheek in greeting.

She looked radiant as usual, unlike Karlie who felt like a mess. Still a beautiful mess, even at her low point. They took a table at the private corner of the restaurant. Once they made their order, Lily looked at her expectantly. She studied the dark circles under her friend's eyes and the missing sparks within.

"How are you holding up, Kar?"

Karlie grimaced, the next best thing she could do other than smiling.