Chapter 6: Riots, Drills and the Devil

I lay on the top bunk keeping watch while our washing hangs across the cell and Michael shapes the screw using the metal bed frame. He had left it under my pillow for me to continue what he started. He trusts me.

He starts to unscrew the metal from the wall and crawls through the hole.

He's down there for ages so I cover it up and start to take down the washing. Before long it's lights out. I sit on my bunk twiddling my thumbs for what seems like hours, but then I hear a guard call for a bed check. And Michaels not in bed.

I knock on the metal to alert Mike and then stuff pillows under his sheets to make it look like he's there, before I climb into bed and hook my arm over the covers to show some skin.

The guard comes over to our cell and shines the torch inside. "Show some skin Scofield." He says. When the bunk makes no movement the guard taps his torch on the bars trying to wake him up. "Hey Scofield." Just as the guard is unlocking the door his sheets rustle and he must appear because the officer shines the light again.

"Fell asleep boss." He groans, and I let out a long breath that I didn't know I was holding. The guard moves on. "I can't get through the wall." He says, huskily.

"What do you mean?"

"I know how to do it, I just don't have the time to do it." He explains.

"We're locked up. All we've got is time."

"You don't understand. I planned this break on a schedule. And constantly coming up for count won't let me do what I need to do to get through the wall. But if I'm not back on schedule, it means we're not through the wall by the end of the day and we're not getting out of here."

"There's three things for certain in life, or in prison. Death, taxes and count. The only way to stop a count is.."

"What?"

"Lockdown."

"How do we get a lockdown?"

I take a moment to think and then ask, "can you get to the A/C unit?"

"Maybe."

"You need to get the inmates mad, stop the cool air the inmates get hot, they get angry, we get an uprising." I suggest.

*

In the yard the next day we are just wondering around when Dr Tancredi walks behind the fence. "Have you got a minute?" She asks us.

"About five years worth." Michael replies.

"Right, sorry." She says. "Um, you never told me Lincoln Burrows is your brother." How's it any of her business?

"It never came up." Michael says.

"I'm curious, if that isn't because of my father, the Governor?" She asks. "He may not be the one pulling the switch but you and I both know he has the power to grant clemency and he won't. He never does."

"My old man was an abusive drunk who abandoned his family. I don't judge any one by their fathers actions. Or inactions." Michael says. "If that was your concern."

"Just so you know I don't agree with his politics. And I'm sorry about your brother."

"I appreciate that."

She starts to walk away but comes back. "This isn't much but I have to give Lincoln a weekly check up now if you want I could schedule those visits to end right before you come in for your shots, that way, er, you can see each other, even if it is only in passing."