Chapter 37: Sweet Caroline

"Okay, I think you better go." Michael says to Mr. Green.

"You sure?"

"Yeah. Thank you for your help but there's nothing more you can do for us." Michael confirms.

"It doesn't feel right." says Mr. Green.

"I don't think you want any part of this. Thank you." Michael repeats and Mr. Green exits through the door before Mike turns back to us, "It's 10 minutes away, right?"

"At least." Lincoln nods, "listen, if this doesn't work, we're gonna need a way out. For good."

I feel so guilty. They are brothers, goddammit.

"Well, that's on you." Michael reminds him.

Michael's so intelligent and kind and perfect.

"Yeah." Linc nods, "what about Derek?"

And Lincolns so funny and caring and imperfect but perfect at the same time.

"Derek Sweeney?" Michael asks.

"Yeah."

"You think he'll be up for this?"

"Yeah."

"All right." Michael looks at him, "this is your neck of the woods. Good luck Sara." He looks at her and she nods before leaving the hotel room. The time has finally come where she's leaving us and going her own way. "If anything happens I love you both." Michael looks between Linc and I and I look guiltily at the ground before he walks out of the door.

"Should I tell him?" I ask Lincoln and he frowns before shaking his head.

"No." He says and walks toward the door as well, "we can just pretend it never happened." he walks out and I have to follow him or I'll be left alone with no way to get anywhere.

"We can pretend it never happened." I mill those horrible words over in my head.

He takes us to a warehouse that runs right down to the water on the Highland but there are a lot of people around, driving the transport vehicles and digger type thingys. He looks around for a moment and then see's the man he wants and starts to walk us over to where he is.

He's putting his clocking sheet into the timer and when he turns around and see's us he almost has a heart attack. "Jesus," he gasps, "are you crazy, man? What the hell are you doing here?"

"Lower your voice," Lincoln pushes him up against the wall. "Keep it down."

The guy relaxes and then smiles at his old friend as Lincoln asks how he's been.

"It's good to see you brother." He replies.

"Yeah, you too man. This is Liv, Olivia this is Derek." I give Derek a little smile that he returns and then they start talking again.

"Look, some of the guys here might not be so cool with you hanging out here." He tells Lincoln, given the circumstances.

"Yeah, well I'm not hanging around, I need a favour." Linc says, "you owe me."

"I do, and you know I do. Look, it's just, it's just your situation right now, I just had a kid, a baby boy and I promised Maria--"

"We're not here to cause trouble," Linc says. "I'm short on friends, I need you to hook me up. You're the only one that can do it without the green upfront. I'm serious about this man, here," he unfolds a piece of paper and hands it to Derek, checking that no ones watching while he reads what's on the sheet.