Chapter 18: Tonight

In the yard we stand by the fence where officers are walking around with dogs on leashes. "Dogs." T-Bag drawls in his accent. "Numerous times I've been apprehended while trying to elude the authorities, it's always because of damn dogs. Turns out you can run from just about everything in your life except your own particular stink."

"Yeah well some of us stink more than others." C-Note replies.

"Kinte, you can smell like a bouquet of bonbons, but unless you get rid of your smell you might as well send a note to the po-lice with directions and some cab fare." T-Bag insists.

"You know, Theodore's right man." Abruzzi says.

"We've got to scrub down our cells." Michael says.

"What about our bunks?" I ask.

"Pillows, sheets, everything, either get rid of your smell, or change it." T-Bag says.

"Well, how much time we got?" C-Note asks.

"John?" Michael asks.

"Three days, that's as soon as I can get us into the guards room for P.I."

"Do you think you'll have the extra suits by then?" Michael asks Sucre's cousin, who is now in on the plan.

"Probably." He replies nervously. "They should be here tomorrow."

"Good. So we're good to go." C-Note concludes.

"All we've got left is figuring out how to get through the door in the infirmary." Michael reminds us. "And how to get Linc out of that box."

"And you can do that in three days?" Sucre checks.

"Three days should be plenty of time." Michael reassures us all.

Grandad walks up behind us with his hands in his pockets looking cold, he's just been doing bin duty in the guards room. "We've got to get out of here." He warns us. "Now."

He tells us about walking in on Bellick smashing through the cement hole I covered no so long ago. "I don't know how he found it, he just did." He says.

"The holes just sitting there?" Sucre asks.

"I covered it the best I could, but it's just a matter of time before someone discovers Bellick's missing." He replies.

"What do you mean Bellick's missing?" Michael asks.

"I had to do something, if I let him go he would have talked so I knocked him out, tied him up and put him in the hole." Grandad says.

"Okay, okay, okay, Fox River is a big place, maybe they won't notice for a while." Sucre tries to convince everyone.

"Nothing happens around here without Bellick's say so. Somebodies going to notice he's missing." C-Note says.

"And when they do they're going to close this place down until they find him." John adds.

"What are we going to do?" I ask Michael.

"As soon as it gets dark, we go." He replies.

"Tonight?"

"Pretty we aren't ready to escape tonight." T-Bag counteracts.

"The escape already started, it started the minute Bellick found that hole." Michael tells us.