Chapter 10: And Then There Were 8

Next day in the guards room we continue digging and I keep watch outside this time. After a while I notice uniforms coming our way. I rush to open the door. "CO's." I warn everyone and we rush to put everything right in the room.

We make it just in time. "Put that back up there." John says as the door opens and we all make it look like we're doing something.

"Scofield." The officer calls. "Move it. It's time for your conjugal. Your wife is here."

I wait for Michael to tell them that they've made a mistake but the words don't come. He just follows them out without even glancing at me. My head flies to Lincoln as soon as the door shuts. "Did you know that he has a wife?" I ask him. He shakes his head.

"No. No I didn't."

I busy myself getting on with work that needs doing while T-Bag is in the hole singing a god damn awful tune.

"Are you okay, baby?" Lincoln asks.

"Of course I am, why wouldn't I be?"

"Because my brother has been an ass."

"What's his business is his business I don't ask questions." I reply simply while my body screams in disappointment but I don't let it show, I won't be seen as weak, not after last time.

Eventually Sucre comes in telling us that Michaels coming back. Great. He comes in and shuts the door behind him.

"Hey I tell you everything about me and Maricruz and you can't even tell me you're married." Sucre says.

"Later." Michael says strongly. I don't know what he's grumpy for, he just got his needs seen to pretty well by his fricking wife!

"Rough day, huh, Scofield?" C-Note taunts. "You know while the rest of us are in here slinking concrete, you got some little girl to play on your rusty trombone, eh?"

"Mans got a point." T-Bag gestures. "It just doesn't seem equitable like, you know what I'm saying?" He continues. "Although now we all know you're taken I may get a little action from Miss Granges over there. Boyfriends a cheater, hey? Although, you do seem closer to Sink than you do to pretty here." He ponders.

"Shut up and dig T-Bag." Lincoln says threateningly.

"We were never dating so it's not that big of a thing." I reply to his statement about Michael, but I don't turn around I stay facing the wall doing work like I have been since Michael walked in again, I haven't even sneaked a glance at him but I can feel his eyes trained on me.

Soon it's time for the moment I've been dreading, heading back up to our cells where I'll be alone with Michael.

"Olivia just let me explain." He begs.

"You don't have to explain anything to me. It's none of my business." I haven't moved from my spot of lying on my top bunk and facing the ceiling with my hands resting on my stomach. Michaels standing leaning his arms on my thin mattress and trying to talk to me.

"I think I do." He says.

"Honestly you don't."

"Look I only married her to give her the green card to come here. She's foreign." He tells me. "She came here not to do things or to even see me, just to give me this." He pulls out a credit card.

"And you can do so much with that in here." I say sarcastically. He pulls the back off, that's a sticker and reveals a key card.

"But I can with this." He says. But his smirk slowly fades when I turn my attention back to the ceiling. "It's strictly business between Nika and I."