Chapter 28: Dead Fall

We drive for the rest of the day and a little through the night, swapping the driver and passenger between us when we get too tired and arrive in Arizona with time to spare before LJ's release.

We park the car in an inconspicuous spot and then hide behind a building across from where LJ will be dropped off. Both of us where big sunglasses to hide our faces as best we can and I keep my ball cap on with my hair loose and wavy.

"Are you happy?" asks Lincoln, randomly.

"What do you mean?"

He pauses and looks down at me (he's a lot taller), "with Michael, are you happy?"

I avoid looking at his face which has a frown indented on it and look back at the road where a transporter van is just pulling up. "It's LJ." I announce and Lincoln looks around the brick wall to the road.

We watch him get out of the van and get handed a dollar bill and a sheet of paper by a man in a suit.

A car rolls up and stops in the middle of the road the two men inside watching LJ and the man in the suit grabs his arm, preventing him from walking away. We can see LJ's face frown and look nervous.

I feel a pang of protectiveness over him.

LJ talks to the man for a moment and then walks swiftly away from him.

He's still being watched though. They clearly think Lincoln is going to contact him - and I guess they're correct considering we're here for him.

Back at the car we open the trunk and look through all the compartments to see if we can find anything and flog it, so that we have a little money.

We find a hefty bag of fine golf clubs that are in almost impeccable condition and a pair of sunglasses but those aren't worth anything so we just take the clubs to the nearest pawn shop that doesn't look like they'll ask questions.

"I'll give you 80 bucks for them." The man behind the till says after inspecting them.

"Come on, man, they're worth--"

"Worth a lot more to the person they actually belong to." The man ends the sentence, "these are ladies clubs, doctor."

"Yeah, obviously they're mine, doctor." I reply sarcastically.

"Eighty bucks." The man repeats.

"Throw in the cooler and you got a deal." says Lincoln, spotting a red cooling box on a nearby shelf and the man nods, putting the clubs behind the counter and getting eighty dollars out of the till and handing it to me while Linc gets the cooler down.

Next, we go to a convenience store and buy a bag of ice which Lincoln puts into the cooler and then into the car before we continue to follow LJ.

We haven't had a clean approach to him or to even get him a message so that he knows we're here because he's staying in public places and the Feds are continuously watching him from their car.

Right now he's sat down at a bus stop bench and a man is pacing around in front of him most likely also waiting for the bus.

The pacer asks him something and and sits down next to LJ, continuing to talk. Eventually LJ stands up and begins to walk away but the pacer has a big mouth and starting to cause a scene, before punching LJ hard in the face, throwing him up against the wall.