Chapter 30: Disconnect

"It was you," states Michael.

"Go easy, son." Aldo begins to walk forwards a little bit.

"Stay away from me." Michael steps back and places his ball cap on his head looking extremely upset and on the verge of tears.

"What the hell's going on?" Lincoln voices my thoughts exactly.

"I know him."

"You know him?" I ask.

"That's impossible." Lincoln shakes his head.

"I know him. I know this man."

"Michael." Aldo steps closer again.

"Maybe that's far enough." Sucre puts his arm out slightly but doesn't touch him.

"This doesn't concern you." Aldo snaps.

"What the hell's going on, Dad?"

"After Mom died you were in juvie." Michael looks at Linc, "they put me with this foster father down on Pershing Avenue. He punished me. Locked me up. If you leave someone alone in the dark for that long, their eyes start to adjust, you start to see things, no matter how small, because if they exist, they can help you. Help you do the only thing you wanna do when you're alone in the dark, get out."

Michael starts to walk away again and we all walk after him, Sucre hanging on to Mike and pushing him forwards while Lincoln stays with Aldo who are rushing after him, while I remain walking in the middle following Michael but giving him distance to stay alone-ish.

A chorus of "Michaels!" can be heard from everyone's mouth as we follow him confused. "Michael, please, wait."

"He did this to you?" Lincoln asks when he finally stops walking. "Did he do this to you?" Mike looks around not sure what to do his face screwing up and looking like a little lost puppy.

"Michael?" I say softly next to him.

"How could you do that to another human being with your own hands?" He asks Aldo painfully.

"Michael. It's gonna be all right." His dad holds up his hands in plain view.

"Six months, six months I was in that place. Where were you? How long did you know?" Michael asks as we now walk all together.

"I found you as soon as I could, the state kept moving you, then you went away again. You don't think it killed me to leave you like that? To leave in the first place? Since the beginning, I was the problem. Since day one. Your lives are what they are because of me."

"Yes, Linc told me about The Company, you were some kind of analyst. That's the job you chose over your family." Mike rolls his eyes.

"I thought I was doing the right thing, protecting you."

"From what, Dad? From who?" Michael stops walking again and squares up to Aldo.

"The Company had enemies. I was important to The Company, I became a target. Easiest way to get to me would be to get to you. I left as soon as I realized how corrupt it was. How they were buying the government."

"YOU COULD'VE COME BACK AT ANY TIME!"

"No, I couldn't! Michael, turning on The Company put me and you at even greater risk. I had to stay away."

"We were your sons."

"And you still are, Michael, we can fix this. I came back so that we could fix this."

"This can never be fixed." hisses Michael.

"There's a tape. It gives us everything we need. Linc will be set free if we find it."