4. Call me Shield

After the main event of Tara trying to run she could hardly stand and was taken back to the medical bay to rest. This time she had one of the Young Justice league members outside of her door to insure she wouldn't end up hurt again. Surprisingly she didn't fight the fact she needed to get back before she ended up on the streets again. Also there was the pure fact she was completely and utterly worn out. She was pretty sure she slept another twenty four hours before waking up again and when she had fallen asleep Miss. Martian was outside trying to talk to her and Tara rudely just fell asleep. When waking up Tara just stared at the ceiling and contemplated on what plan she could possible make to still be able to go to the school she is, keep her grades up and keep those hard scholarships. She was taken back by thinking when her stomach made most likely the loudest growl she has ever heard. She couldn't remember the last time she ate. She must of eaten since she had been here it had been far over a week now.

Sitting up slowly she notice she wasn't in nearly as much pain as she was before and when she looked around she noticed she had another Sunflower in a vase next to her. This time it was a single one all by itself. Cocking and eyebrow she sighed taking it out of the vase and taking a deep breath. Man did that smell just make her, well happy.

"Excuse me." a deep voice said making Tara jump.

"I am Aqualad leader of the Young Justice group. I was assigned to guard you tonight. Though I did bring you some food in case you did wake." He said placing the tray beside her bed.

Tara looked at the food and then back to him and sighed. "I am sorry AquaLad that I broke your robot toys that you train with. I thought I was going to die." she said making him stare at her confused. "Why are you sorry? You so far have been the only one to complete that level. If anything you have proven our team needs to work harder. Tell me if I am ask. Where did you learn to fight such a way?" He asked in such a polite yet demanding voice.

Tara didn't take it that way, he wasn't human he was a merman she thought something along those lines. He must just talk like that where he is from. "Uhm well." she then had a light blush across her face. "I self taught I suppose." she said thinking about it. "I have nothing to hide from the Justice League, you all pretty much figured me out and are keeping me here so am I to be interrogated?" she asked looking at him a little worried. If she had to be interrogated could she just give all the info to this guy so she didn't have to be in a room alone with Batman. Or worse the Kid Flash who seems to make everything into a flirt.

"No no, you are only being held so that you can be healed. We do not want you to wonder and get hurt and we cannot send you home in the condition you are in. Though from what I have learned your home may be up for debate as of right now. I do not mean to upset you, but I do not wish to let this matter be walked around. It seems as though we are having problems seeing eye to eye with the family you have. They seem to be telling us to well." Aqualad froze a little he did not mean to bring this subject up so harshly, but what was done was done. The girls look though told Aqualad she knew what her current home meant. She looked depressed and rather closing up to him.

"They do not want me to come back." she said and Aqualad had placed his hand on her shoulder. Surprisingly the girl felt solid as if she was stone now, but her skin looked normal. "Batman will make sure you have a place to call home again. You helped us when you could of simply of ran away. As my team and I agreed we feel indebted to you in a way." he said in a comforting voice. Looking down at the red hair girl, her once green and blue eyes now almost looked grey to him as if she was becoming a empty shell. For a moment Aqualad had thought the girl had tricked him but then she sighed. The sigh made him pull back his hand while she turned and granbed the tray of food.

"Aqualad I'm an orphan. Cliche very much but there are things that not even the Justice League can do to help." she said making him raise an eyebrow. "I only hope to stay in school and get to college to maybe get away from this dreadful thing I call a life at the moment. See when Super Boy was thrown into school I was doing okay." she paused and for some reason even Aqualad knew where this was going and the tension in the air got thick. "Then it changed. He lost his temper, he needed help then the rest of your team needed help and somehow I ended up a target. I did not expect any of that to happen." She explained.