OBSESSION I - The News

Copyright © 2010 Alexandra-Patricia Pusca  

ID 8748612  

Lulu publishing

OBSESSION I

The news

It was a warm night of July. Outside were almost 25 Celsius degrees, but the night air felt cold against my exposed skin making me shiver. Sensing its icy touch on my warm skin was so pleasant and unexpectedly refreshing in the same time. I slowly closed my eyes while listening the deep peaceful silence of the night and the soft sound of the water of the lake. It was a perfect night with a sky entirely covered by stars and dominated by the mesmerizing presence of a gorgeous full moon which seemed closer to Earth than any other night.

Compared with others, this night felt abnormally quiet and the best source of inspiration for my paintings.

Admiring the view illuminated by this immense full silver moon made me feel better than any other night that I spent outside in the last few months since I began visiting this place for the first time.

I slowly opened my eyes, analyzing each insignificant detail which could become the theme for my childhood passion: painting.

I could follow on my canvas the reflection of the moon on the crystal surface of the lake, mesmerizing me, making me slowly want to walk towards the edge, leaving my brush behind me, softly resting on my black easel. The beauty of the landscape was taking my breath away.

It was only a low noise in the thick forest behind me that made me stop and quickly turn around, scanning with my dark green eyes the trees of the forest in a futile attempt to discover its source.

Unfortunately, even under the moon's light, my human eyes couldn't see much in the thick darkness of the forest. It seemed like a quick shadow moved through the darkness, but then again, in the same time it could have been just my imagination.

What was even stranger was the fact that I was not afraid.

I felt free.

This was the fifth month since I began coming here to paint and, in an unexpected way, even if I was alone in the middle of the night in Herăstrău, one of the biggest parks in Bucharest, I felt safe; safer than I should feel walking in a park at such a late hour in the night.

It was the strangest sensation I ever had like nothing bad could happen to me. It almost felt like I was protected by some kind of mysterious and powerful invisible force which tried its best to keep me away from danger's path.

That single thought, even if I always knew it was a stupid and reckless one, made me want to keep coming here, every night, just to paint the beauty of the landscape... just to try in a futile attempt to trap its most beautiful representation on my canvas.

I'm positively sure that if I decided to visit the same place during the day, I would be very disappointed; because the truth is that only during the night a place can be as magically beautiful as this one is. I believe that its magical essence unfortunately always disappears with the first sunshine rays.

After so many hours spent in this place, making my family anxious and worried for my safety, this particular night seemed different and unique in its momentum that made it even more beautiful.

Who would have known that this was the exact night that would change my life forever?

It was only a little later when a simple phone call changed my tranquil life, leading me towards a new and different future.