OBSESSION XXXIII

OBSESSION XXXIII

Shaan grabbed my hand and led me towards the thickness of the forest. I wanted to be with him more than anything, so I didn’t really pay attention to my surroundings, because as long as he was by my side I felt loved and safe.

He dragged me towards the darkness, without answering to any of my questions, completely ignoring my desire of finding out what I wanted to know.

After a few more minutes, I could see something quite familiar in front of me. As I narrowed my eyes, looking through my thick eye lashes, I almost instantly recognized the house of my childhood, the house where I used to live since I was just a child.

No, that was not the house of my childhood, but the house of Annabelle’s childhood, the place which witnessed my first encounter with the man I loved and yet, in a strange and inexplicable way, I felt warmth slowly covering my heart.

“How...?” I tried to ask confused, without being able to find my words anymore.

“Emma, I brought you here because I want to tell you everything. Yes, this is the place where everything began, because this is the place when I first saw your beautiful green eyes” he whispered.

“After almost three hundred years spent alone in search of something that it seemed to miss from my heart, even if I didn’t know exactly what was missing, one night, I found myself leaving the safety of my family’s house without any logical explanation. I wasn’t thirsty in that night, and yet, I felt a strong pull towards unknown. My dead heart was aching inside my rib cage, making me feel powerless in front of such a powerful and unknown force.

So, without being able to resist the call, I walked through the darkness of the forest looking for something or someone I didn’t know.

That was the first night when I walked through the intense mass of green trees without caring about the dangers which lured near by.

As I stepped forward through the darkness, I suddenly saw a house in front of me. I couldn’t quite understand why I was feeling such a strong pull towards a human house, but I couldn’t stop myself as I walked closer.

Feeling confused, for the first time during many centuries, I stopped in front of the house completely covered in darkness, sniffing the air to make sure that there were no hunters near by.

As I was about to leave, without being able to understand what was making me react so strange, I heard you for the first time and I instantly knew that you were the real reason for which I walked there in the first place.

I soundlessly climbed in the tree, near the second floor of the house, wanting, no…, needing to know what was that incredible pull which attracted me in that place for the first time. And there you were, placed inside the small bed, where you slept, crying loudly.

Seeing you there, I knew, for the first time during my entire existence, that you were the missing piece of my heart. You were my half, the person which could replace the coldness inside of me with warmth and love.

Since that moment, I watched and I protected you during your entire childhood and adolescence, without knowing when or where I would be able to speak with you.

Watching you constantly from the shadows I soon found out that you were one of the sweetest persons who graced the Earth. Your open mind, a little childish and sincere, fascinated me from the first moment. I loved you from that first second and the time spent together after I took you away from your family only deepened my feelings for you.   

In time I began to know you better, as you revealed your passion for music and literature, your free spirit and your independence, making me fall in love with you even more than I already was.