14

"And that's how I gave my fifth grade teacher a heart attack

"And that's how I gave my fifth grade teacher a heart attack. Oh! I also one time scared this big ass scary guy into -" Harley was cut off by the exasperated sigh of Dean.

"Harley, do you have any heart attack knowledge that could actually help us instead of scare us?" He asked, rubbing his temple. Random heart attacks had been happening in the town that the trio resided in at that moment. There was no sure cause of the attacks, all of the victims being extremely healthy and fit.

"Uhhh, did any of them have diabetes? Could've been a silent heart attack." She shrugged prompting Sam to look through the file.

"Nope. All healthy as can be. This case doesn't make any sense." The youngest Winchester put a hand through his hair.

"Which is why it's our case." Harley grinned, purposefully leaning a little too close to Sam in order to retrieve the file. The girl read over it quickly, throwing it at Dean once she was finished. "Three victims with the same red scratches. All go from jittery to terrified to dead within 48 hours? Not a heart attack."

"Something scared them to death then. But, I mean that could be anything. Ghosts, vampires, chupacabra." Dean reasoned.

"So, we make a list and start crossing things off." Sam shrugged.

"Last person to see Frank O'Brien alive was his neighbor, Mark Hutchins. Should we -" Harley began before getting cut off by Dean frantically moving to the window of the motel.

"Hey, see those teenagers." Dean pointed out the window to a group of young boys circled around a bike. Sam and Harley nodded, Dean eyeing the group. "I don't like the looks of them." He paused biting his thumbnail. "Can we, uh, wait a few minutes before we go. Just to be safe."

Harley couldn't help her uncontrollable laughter while Sam muttered a simple 'yeah. . sure". Dean nodded in appreciation, leaving Harley and Sam to laugh once he was out of earshot.

As promised, the group waited until the teenagers cleared out before they did the same. Mark Hutchins' house was a strange one. Reptiles in glass sanctuaries covered every wall of the living room. Two couches were conveniently placed in the middle, the hunter trio sitting on one while Mark sat across from them.

"So," Sam began. "The last time you saw Frank O'Brien?"

Harley gave Dean a look, nudging him so he would look slightly less terrified. He had seemed uneasy since the second they walked through Mr. Hutchins front door. "Monday. He was watching me from his window. I waved but he just shut his curtains."

"Had you spoken to him recently?" Harley inquired. "Did he seem different, maybe scared?"

"Oh, totally. He was freaking out." Mark blew air out of his mouth, feeding the snake that was draped over his shoulders.

Both Sam and Harley glanced over at the oldest Winchester, who was looking around warily until he caught the two's gaze. "Uh- do you maybe know why he was scared?"

"Witches."

"Witches? Like, uh-" Sam made an effort to get him to elaborate.

"Well - 'Wizard of Oz' was on tv the other night, right. And he said that green bitch was totally out to get him." Mark nodded.

"Uh, anything else scare him?" Harley asked trying to get something the three could work with.

"Everything else scared him. Al-qaeda, ferrets, artificial sweetener, those pez dispensers with their dead little eyes - lots of stuff." Hutchins conversed with Sam about what his late friend was like while Harley turned her attention towards Dean.

"What is up with you? A snake slither up your trousers?" She joked, Dean not finding it funny and instead frantically checked his pant leg. "Wow, you're officially losing it, Winchester."

After the strange encounter with Mark Hutchins, Sam, Dean and Harley all set off to attempt to find more information of Frank O'Brien. His wife, who Mark had mentioned, ended up committing suicide. An airtight alibi confirming that Frank had nothing to do with the death. Sam set off on his own to check Frank's house for any emf or other supernatural signs but found no such thing. So, to sum it up, the trio still had no clue what to call the events going on in the town.

Harley groaned, leaning her head on her palm, feeling as if the car ride was dragging on. And it was. . . because Dean was only going 20 miles per hour. "Dean, watcha doin?"

"What?"

"You're actually going the speed limit." The girl elaborated with a smirk.

"So, what? Safety's a crime now?" Dean raised a hand from the wheel to accentuate his words before hurriedly placing it back. Sam shook his head in amusement, glancing out the window to see their hotel passing by.

"Dude, what are you doing? That was our turn." Sam pointed back to where they should have been going, Harley stifling a laugh.

"I'm not gonna make a left hand turn into oncoming traffic, Sam, I'm not suicidal." Dean grumbled with such force that Harley couldn't hold in her fit of laughter anymore. "Did I just say that? That was kind of weird." Dean chuckled nervously, a high pitched noise interrupting his break down.

"Is that the emf?" Harley leaned forward in her seat, reaching to grab the meter from Sam's lap. She shifted it slightly closer to Dean making the noise even louder. Harley's eyebrows furrowed when she shifted it back to Sam and the noise dulled.

"Am I- am I haunted?" Dean choked out, his head spinning  as he looked back and forth between the road and the two people beside him. "Am I haunted!"

"Shit just got even weirder."

____________________
not edited
hey guys!
i love this episode so much omfg
i just posted the prologue to my more serious-ish dean fic if you wanna check it out :))
thanks for reading ❤️