18

Harley sat on the hood of the Impala with a permanent grin that always seemed to rest on her features

Harley sat on the hood of the Impala with a permanent grin that always seemed to rest on her features. Nothing about the trio's situation had changed. In fact, with Dean's time running out some would say the situation was getting worse but the girl couldn't help but feel mentally sound when Sam walked up to her with a smile. He offered her a beer which she gladly took, willing herself to calm down enough to conjure up some sort of game plan. Nonetheless, despite her sense of serenity, Harley couldn't deny the rapid change of pace in her heart. Sam sighed and leant against the Impala besides where the girl sat causing the beat in her chest to go wild.

It was a strange thing for her to feel that way about anyone other than Castiel. The angel who had been MIA lately almost slipped her mind completely when the youngest Winchester was around. And, if he wasn't for the foreign happiness he brought her, she might feel bad for Cas.

"So, any brilliant idea of what to do next?" Sam inquired, squinting against the sun. Harley smiled in admiration, shrugging a shoulder.

"I'll let Bobby do the thinking in that department for now." She picked at the wrapping of her beer - a nervous habit she had acquired over the years. Harley lifted her gaze to see the familiar sight of Bobby's pickup truck. "Speaking of the devil."

"Good to see you two." Bobby offered a small smile as he approached Sam and Harley.

"You too," Sam stuffed his hands in his pockets. "Thanks for coming up so quick."

Bobby nodded in recognition, glancing behind the duo. "Where's Dean?"

Sam struggled to find a suitable answer, looking to Harley for help who chuckled. "Ol' Deano is home. . sick." She crinkled her nose, using the first word that came to mind when thinking of Dean's current state of mind. Sam began to dive into the more literal explanation of what was happening, Bobby crossing his arms in interest.

"Have his hallucinations started yet?" He inquired.

"Yeah, a few hours ago." Sam nodded, Harley picking at her fishnets from beside him. He flicked her hand, pulling the easily-distracted girl's attention back to the conversation.

"How we doin' on time?" Bobby's eyes squinted as he looked at Sam and Harley. Since he had last seen them, they appeared to be a lot more comfortable around each other. In a good or bad way he couldn't tell yet.

"We saw the coroner around 8 Monday morning, so, 2ish hours." Harley bit her lip, realizing their delay.

"Oh," Bobby perked up. "I did find this encyclopedia of spirits that dates back to the edo period."

Sam opened the encyclopedia, causing both him and Harley to look up at Bobby in surprise. "You can speak Japanese?"

The older man began to speak fluent Japanese, not a very kind phrase by the look on his face.

"Alright, show off." Harley joked, flipping the pages.

"Anyway, this book lists the kind of ghost that could be our guy. It, uh, infests other people with fear. It's called a buruburu." Bobby explained.

"How do we kill it?" Harley spotted forward, interested now that they had a lead.

"Same as all the others." Bobby shrugged. "Burn the remains."

"Great." Sam sighed. "Uh, is there a plan b?"

"Well," Bobby thought. "The buruburu is born of fear. Hell, it is fear. And the lore says we can kill it with fear. Pretty much scare a ghost to death."

There was a profound silence in which Harley and Sam shared a baffled glance and Bobby stood there waiting for a reaction.

"How the hell..."

☼☼☼

Bobby handed Harley a gun once Sam had come back from his phone call with Dean. "How's my favorite Winchester?" Harley joked, referring to Dean.

"Your second favorite is hanging in there." Sam corrected,
earning an eye roll from the girl beside him. He also got an eye roll from Bobby, this one more out of pure annoyance.

"Once you two are done with whatever the hell that," He motioned between the two hunters. "is, you can come help me scare this ghost to death." Harley and Sam both raised their eyebrows following behind a bruiting Bobby.

Their plan wasn't too great, actually it wasn't even close to being decent, but it would have to work for now. Bobby remained in the car waiting to execute their plan. Once Sam and Harley were inside, the two of them went in different directions, figuring it would be the best way to get the strange job done faster. Harley tip toed throughout the factory, expecting Luther to appear out of nowhere as he did the last time she encountered him. After minutes of no reaction, Sam decided it would be best to make the ghost angry by ripping up his drawing of his beloved.

Harley's eyes widened once the machines began to whir, the factory springing to life as Luther progressively got angrier. "Sam! Where are you?"

She followed the fighting sounds that echoed off the walls until she was cut short by Luther whizzing by her. He had a chain around his neck and was being pulled by Bobby's car. The plan had worked. Soon enough, the factory went to rest as Luther did.

"You alright?" Harley leaned down to help Sam up who nodded, taking her hand. They walked to the entrance, watching as Bobby stopped the car.

The second they could the three of them sped off from the scene, ready to get out of there and to check in on their missing member. Dean sighed in relief when they met him in the motel parking lot.

"Thank God." He popped the top of a beer off, ready to celebrate before the three even got out of the car.

They gathered around the Impala and Bobby's truck, retelling what had just happened to a cured Dean. He stood there shocked at the story making Harley laugh. "What? Too scary for you Deano." She pinched his cheek causing him to swat her away.

"I'm not scared! You wanna hunt, I'll hunt. I'll kill anything." The oldest Winchester puffed out his chest, Bobby and Sam laughing.

"Well," Bobby sighed. "I better get going. You guys drive safe. Oh! And you two." He motioned between Sam and Harley who froze. "Resolve whatever tension you've got. It's frustrating."

And with that, Bobby left Sam and Harley red-faced and uncomfortable while Dean laughed his ass off. Harley glared, hitting him in the arm. If one thing was for certain, things were back to normal.

But it wouldn't stay that way for long.

_______________________________
not edited
dun dun dun
writers block hits me hard once again :/ but we back ;))
let me know what you think!!
thanks for reading❤️