17

Tension filled the room Sam, Dean and Harley were in for more than one reason

Tension filled the room Sam, Dean and Harley were in for more than one reason. One being the awkward discussion Sam and Harley had just had in the car. Two being Dean's undeniable worry that they would be caught for having fake FBI badges. To Mr. Garland, who was currently checking out their badges, the trio must have looked like a hot mess.

"Those are real." Dean 'convincingly' grinned. "Obviously, I mean who would pretend to be an FBI agent that's just nutty-"

Harley lifted her foot behind her to hit Dean on the side of the leg. He thankfully got the message and cleared his throat, the terrified look not leaving his face.

For some unknown reason, Mr. Garland handed their badges back. "What do you wanna know?" He squinted, his southern accent shining through.

The three sat down, Sam pulling out the file for Luther Garland. "Well, according to this, your brother Luther died of physical trauma."

Mr. Garland scoffed, making Harley quirk an eyebrow. "You don't agree?"

"No, I don't."

"Well, then what would you call it?" Dean asked, tapping his fingers on the table.

"Don't matter what an old man thinks." Mr. Garland shook his head facing away from the agents. Harley was too busy trying to halt Dean's nervous ticking so Sam was the one who inevitably spoke up.

"Mr. Garland, we're just trying to get the truth on your brother. Please." Sam nodded as if to show it was okay for Mr. Garland to talk.

He sighed, picking up the ID card of his brother before explaining more of the story. "Everyone was scared of Luther. They called him a monster. He was too big, too mean-looking. Just too. . different. Didn't matter that he was the kindest man I ever knew, didn't matter that he would never hurt no one." Mr. Garland paused, his eyes welling with tears. "A lot of people failed Luther - I was one of 'em. I was a widower with three young'uns and I told myself there was nothing I could do."

"Mr. Garland, um," Sam paused, unfolding the piece of parchment. He slid the picture of the girl they had found before in front of the old man. "Do you recognize this woman?"

"That's Jessie O'brien." He answered almost immediately. "Her man, Frank, killed Luther."

"How do you know that?" Harley inquired, needing proof.

"Everybody knows. They just don't talk about it." Mr. Garland squinted. "Jessie was a receptionist at the mill. She was always real nice to Luther and he had a crush on her. But, Frank didn't like it. So, when Jessie went missing, Frank was sure that Luther had done something to her. Turns out the old gal killed herself, but Frank didn't know that. They found Luther with a chain wrapped around his neck. He was dragged up and down the stretch outside that plant. Till he was past dead."