15

Sam and Harley walked alongside each other after buying donuts from the local shop

Sam and Harley walked alongside each other after buying donuts from the local shop. The two standing side by side was the ultimate juxtaposition, Harley dressed in a black dress holding her lethal bat while Sam stood wearing a flannel with a box of donuts in hand. It was comical to see the two working together, especially since Sam was sent out to kill the girl not months before. But, for some twisted reason, they were a match made in heaven.

"Alright, thanks Bobby." Sam concluded his call, Harley leaning her head away from its position pressed against the back of his phone. She huffed thinking over the information she had just heard while biting into a donut. Her thought process was interrupted however when Sam tapped her shoulder, pointing towards the Impala which was blaring 'eye of the tiger'.

"Sickness really went to his head quick." Harley raised her eyebrows, Sam doing the same with a chuckle of disbelief. The two walked towards the car nonetheless, looking through the window to see the oldest Winchester playing the air drums.

"Hey, scaredy cat!" Harley exclaimed. Dean scrambled to sit up in his seat, startled by the loud noise. At this point, Harley was sure Dean would be startled by any noise. "We've got news for you." She sang.

Dean quickly shut the music off, getting out of the car. "Look." He choked out, showing Sam and Harley three red scratches of his arm that looked identical to the scratches on all the other suspects.

"Uh, woah." Sam gawked in disbelief. "We just talked to Bobby and, um, you're not gonna like it."

"What?" Dean grumbled with a pout. Harley offered Dean the box of donuts to which he glanced and threw onto the drivers seat. Sam watched the interaction with confusion knowing his brother would never turn down junk food. The girl shook her head, focusing back on the topic at hand.

"Ghost sickness." Harley explained, crossing her arms. Dean turned to look at her with wide eyes.

"God, no." Dean leaned back on the car with a saddened expression until moments later he stood back straight. "Yeah, I don't know what that is."

"Okay. Some cultures believe that spirits can infect the living with a disease," Sam elaborated. "which is why they stopped displaying bodies in houses and started taking them off to funeral homes."

"Alright, get to the good stuff." Dean urged.

"Symptoms are you get anxious and scared, then really scared, then your heart gives out." Harley perked up. "Sound familiar?"

"It's sort of like the flu. Can spread through a cough even a handshake." Sam shrugged, scrunching up his nose. "Frank was in Maumee over the weekend - softball tournament. It was probably where he infected the other victims."

"So, what, I got it from his corpse." Sam and Harley nodded in agreement. "And now I have 48 hours before I go insane and my heart stops."

"24." Harley purses her lips giving Dean a sympathetic look.

"Super." Dean waved a hand, exasperated. "What about you? You got hit with the spleen juice." Dean asked Sam referring to when the trio went to investigate Frank's corpse. "And Harley you were there too."

"But I didn't touch the body." She explained. "And all the vics we have so far share one specific trait." Harley hinted, glancing at Sam to finish the conspiracy them and Bobby came up with.

"Basically they were all dicks." Sam blurted out, Dean feigning offense.

"Are you calling me a dick?"

"I'm just saying all the victims scared people and basically that's all we do." Sam shrugged.

"That's all we do. So you're a dick too!" Dean pointed at Sam who chuckled.

"Apparently not." He smirked.

"Whatever! How do we stop it?" Dean pushed, glaring at the two in front of him.

"We gank the ghost that started all this." Harley rested her bat across her shoulders. "We do that, the disease should clear up. I'm thinking we go for Frank's wife. I mean, who knows why she killed herself."

The brothers nodded in agreement until a look of realization spread across Sam's features. "Hey, what are you doing out here, anyway."

Dean's nervous look reappeared as he looked up at the hotel clearing his throat. "It's just, uh, we're on the fourth floor and-"

"Too high?" Harley tilted her head in understanding as Dean nodded. She patted his shoulder. "I'll go move us down to the first."

"I appreciate you!" The oldest Winchester called after Harley who stuck her middle finger in the air.

☼☼☼

"Quit that!" Harley scolded. She smacked Dean's hand away from his wound to which he pouted up at her. "Puppy eyes don't work of me, asshole."

He glared.

Sam walked through the front door, the first thing he saw was a broken clock on the ground. "So, I assume things are going okay?" He said sarcastically to Harley, speaking softly so Dean wouldn't hear him.

"Just peachy." The girl smiled, walking to sit next to Dean who started picking at his scratches again. She smacking his hand away once more giving Sam a look. "Did you find anything?"

"Yup. Jessie O'Brien's body was cremated. So, I'm pretty sure she is not our ghost." Sam sighed, plopping down in a chair.

Harley groaned. "Guess we gotta keep-"

She was interrupted by Dean coughing beside her. He leaned forward, beginning to choke more than cough. Both Sam and Harley sat up in caution, Sam leading his brother to the sink and Harley asking about his wellbeing. Not moments later Dean coughed an object up, it making a clinking sound as it landed in the sink.

"I think we've been ignoring the biggest clue we have." Sam spoke up after a moment of silence. "You, Dean."

Dean rinsed off the object, pouting in dissatisfaction. "I don't wanna be a clue."

"The abrasions, this. The disease is trying to tell us something." Sam exhaled sharply in wonder.

"Tell us what, wood chips?" Dean grumbled holding up the wood chip he just choked up.

"Exactly." Sam smiled down at Harley and Dean who stood in confusion. Before they could ask, Sam was already making his way out to the Impala.

"I'm starting to think the disease has spread to him too." Harley laughed, glancing up at Dean who's eyes widened.

"You think so?"

Harley stood staring at Dean for a moment in disbelief. She then scoffed and started to walk out of the room. "When did I become the only sane one?"

_________________
not edited
double update because I left you all hanging for like a month😬
tell me what you think so far!
thanks for reading