5. I'm afraid I can't let you go

The guard patrolled the watch tower from the east, shining his light along the buzzing fence as he always does on patrol before lifting his light over the doorway of the canteen that led into the night. Not knowing about the hole under the steps leading out of the canteen where many rebels would smoke and play cards together. Or for Harry's case, try to do something that could lead to his death.

When the guard moved his light away from the door to shine back at the fence, he thought he saw movement to his left. He life's his position and flicked his light over to the left where he thought the movement had occurred but he saw nothing.

Suddenly the lights of the facility went out and the buzzing was cut off. The defences were down for any rebel to escape, now would be there chance.

The guard quickly climbed down the ladder from his post and shone his torch around him, shining it on the dark corners of the facility.

"I know someone's there, come out and I won't shoot." The guard called as he slowly pressed the alarm on his wrist, sending word for backup.

The guard heard footsteps quickly approaching him from behind but he was too slow when turning as one of the rebels attacked him from behind making him drop his torch. The rebel only held him down however as he made a whistling sound.

I bolted across the open yard in the dark, running straight for the fence that held no electricity. I stopped and pulled off my necklace. It was special to me. Leah had carved it out of stone and for weeks she smoothed it down before giving it to me as a birthday present. I was fearful to depart with it but I knew it was the only way to send a message to the others, telling them I was alive.

The guard struggled as he followed where his torch shone on the fence, his eyes growing wide as he saw one of the rebels climbing it as the defences were down. He started to twist out of the rebels hold in hopes of making it to the generator where it would not only light up the facility by restoring power but it would also give life back to the fence. The fence that Harry was climbing.

The sound of soldiers quickly coming from around the corner of the canteen seemed to catch the attention of the rebel as he started to panic. The guard took this opportunity to knock out the rebel, sending him flying backwards stunned. The guard shot up and ran for the generator as the rebel sprang after him dazed.

I quickly climbed until I was halfway up the fence and flung my necklace over the rest of the way. I sighed in relief when I heard the plonk as it sinked into the river. My job was done.

"Harry get down!" Alan screamed making me look back in time to see Alan and the guard wrestling over flipping the switch for the generator. A light was suddenly shone on me making me squint as I was suddenly surrounded by soldiers, guns pointed up at me. I started to quickly descend the fence.

Alan was suddenly flung to the side, hitting his head and momentarily knocking him unconscious. The guard quickly flipped the switch panting.

The facility was erupted in light and I wasn't ten feet from the ground when I felt it. The currents burning my hands.

I gasped as my hands shot away from holding the fence, the tingling feeling of being shocked over and over remaining as I knew if I held on for too long I would be electrocuted and die. I felt like I was falling through the air as my foot slipped and my body was plummeting to the ground, the fence becoming smaller as my eyes widened in realisation that I was probably going to die

My back hits the ground with a thump and my eyes automatically close, squinting as my mouth opens to scream but only a groan comes out.