Chapter Seven: Expulsion?

"So, I suppose that explains why you didn't show us your alchemy?"
Ed questions.

We had woken up a while ago, and have been sitting at the table for a while. It was a pretty rough night for everyone. I had no idea the pain everyone in this house has gone through. The question was sudden. It was apparent that me being able to transmute without a circle would be the reason I won't use alchemy, but I'd be lying if I gave that answer, and I promised to come clean.

"No. I won't use alchemy because...along with my leg, I also had to pay something else for the toll needed to open the portal." I sighed, "I gave up my ability to use alchemy......I couldn't use it if I tried."

"But Leah," says Alphonse, "Ed and I are going to regain what we've lost and find a way to get our bodies back, can't you do the same?"

"No. I can't use alchemy, to regain my body means I'd have to re-open the portal somehow. I can't open it, because my portal is gone. Not unless some one sacrifices something of extraordinary value to bring it back. I'm just not worth that."

"Oh."

More awkward silence.
"So....then why....why did you really come here?"

"I have unfinished business with the military."

"What do you mean." Ed asks.

"They have records of each soldier who is, or ever was, with the military. The complete story on their duties, reports, files you name it. I went to find Matthew's in the West, but surprisingly they weren't there. So I came East, since this was were Matthew had been posted in Ishval. I'm hoping that I'll be able to find how he really died, and any last letters he left for me. The only problem is, I can't prove I'm related to him, and because I'm not in the military they can't give me his files. That's my dilemma."

"Well.....actually." says Ed, "I'm a State Alchemist. So I should be able to access all files that are here. I can get them for you."

"Really? You would do that for me? Oh thank you! Thank you, Ed."

No one has ever shown me this much kindness, other than Izumi taking me in, since Matthew died. Losing myself I hugged Ed (though I had to bend down a little).

"Yeah. Not a problem." Ed replies.

***
"But, Teacher!" Al exclaims.

I had my ear pressed to the door. I could hear everything that was going on, and Izumi had just expelled both brothers. She couldn't bring herself to forgive what they had done. But still, this was harsh, even for Izumi.

I know she can't expel me, because I'm not technically her student. But even so, if she can't forgive Ed and Al, what does she think of me? I hear Izumi to tell the boys to get on a train and go home. Arguing, Ed replies he made a promise to me to help get Matthew's records.

"That's your promise. You can do that today without staying in my home." Izumi says.

The two boys walk out of the room, looking defeated.

"Leah." says Ed, "We've been..."

"I know." I say "And I'm sorry. You don't have to help me if you need to go home."

"Not a chance. I promised to help you. That, and when else are you going to become friends with a State Alchemist?" Ed laughed.

"You're too kind. You...have no idea how much that means to me." I say.

***

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?" I ask Ed.

"No. If anyone comes with me, the officials might get suspicious, and the MP's don't let just anyone take files like this." Ed explains

"Ok. Thank you, again." I say.

Al and I wave goodbye to Ed as he gets of the train to go to East City. He should be back by the afternoon today, so Al and I are helping Izumi out around the shop. Al went outside to sweep the porch, while I'm scrubbing the counter tops and sweeping inside the store. It had been about 20 minutes since we started, and I had finished my work so I decided to help Al.

"Hey, you still not done yet?" I opened the door to find nothing. "Al?" I looked around the corners of the house. I know, he's trying to scare me, he'll jump out any second now.

"Ok, Al. You got me. But I don't like to be scared when I know it's coming.....seriously."

I take a few more steps outside the house to find the broom Al was using laying on the sidewalk. It's not like him just to leave stuff lying around like this. Unless....but....how? He's been......kidnapped? How do you kidnap a 7 foot tall suit of armour?

The answer is simple. You don't. Not easily, at least. Maybe he just walked off somewhere. Debating whether or not to tell Izumi, I grab my sword and head off. Seriously, where are you, Al?

I turn in the alleyway and quickly press myself up against a wall. I see a group of people, with a man, a huge man, lifting Al up of his shoulders and carrying him like a little kid. Why isn't Al fighting back? The other guy I can see from my point of view is short, but carries a katana by his side. I wait until they carry Alphonse into someplace, a store maybe? I walk down the alleyway and look at the place these people have taken Al into.

The Devil's Nest?

Not the nicest sounding of places, in which case I put my hand on my sword, ready to draw it, and enter.