Chapter Fifteen: Certain Sacrifices

The next morning, Ed made a point out of being a show off. He went around announcing his name, fixing things, and generally being an egotistical-obnoxious teenager
(I want to say he really isn't any different normally, but I'm his friend, I can't do that).

While he tried to draw out Scar, I stayed with Ling and Lan Fan on the roof tops. I had an arrow knocked, while Ling had his hand on his sword. I waited in anticipation and fear. It's like going swimming in the open ocean, when you know the sharks are out there. You can't see them, but they can see you, and are quite possibly hunting you down.

I hear the first explosion across town, and jump, a wave of fear and adrenaline sweeping through my body. I tell myself to calm down and take a breath. This is Ed, he can't be killed that easily.

Lan Fan is standing beside Ling, with her arms folded. Both of them are to the building on my left. Suddenly, they look at each other, exchange a few words I can't hear, and nod.

"We're moving out. Come on!" Ling yells at me.

The two practically sprint across the roofs, moving so fast I barely have time to keep up.
From out of the brick building in front of us, comes a huge person. Each of his-no, its-arms are bigger than I am. No human could possibly be that monstrous, so it must be a Homunculus. It charges at us, before Lan Fan gives it a swift kick to the face, sending it into a rooftop.

"Who are you?" I hear it say. It's voice is innocent, almost childlike.

"Don't bother running." Lan Fan says sharply, "I can sense your presence. I can also follow it."

"Follow me? Then I'll eat you now..." It opens its mouth, revealing an ouroboros tattoo on its tongue, identical to the one that was on Greed's hand. I draw my bow, the arrow pointed at whatever this thing is. I notice Ling looking down, then his eyes following the the bottom of the structure where Lan Fan is crouching.

"Look out!" He cries.

Before I can process what was going on, I see a flash of blue bolt up a ladder-like to thing to where Lan Fan is. A lightning flash of silver whips across her body, her mask shatters, and she wails in pain.

"No, Lan Fan!" Ling cries.

She falls off the building, clutching her kunai. She used it to deflect whatever hit her, but I can still see the blood flowing down after her. The person who struck her: Führer King Bradley.
I want to believe my eyes were deceiving me. The leader of my country has hurt an one of my allies.

He pauses for a moment, then orders the other Homunculus, Gluttony, I heard him call it, to eat Lan Fan. If he gives orders to them, he must associated with them.

Gluttony jumps at Lan Fan, that is, until Ling takes his head off with his sword. He crouches near Lan Fan, trying to make sure she's ok. Bradley comes after them again, but this time, so do I. Bradley starts swinging his sword at Ling, and even with Lan Fan over his shoulder, Ling is still able to block it.

"I see you're no stranger to combat." Bradley says to Ling.

"Neither am I!" I yell, firing an arrow straight at Bradley's head. I miss, but only just.

"How annoying." he complains, stopping his assault on Ling and turning to me. "Gluttony!" He yells.

Gluttony, as cued, slams his fists into Ling, send him and Lan Fan through the window of another building.
"Ling!" I yell. Until a force knocks my legs from under me, and I have a sword pointed at me.

"I'll just kill you now, and deal with them later." He says.

Bradley hesitates. He narrows his eye at me. "You were the girl with the Elric brothers in Dublith, weren't you?"