Chapter Twenty One: Hotel Room

Once we left Winry's, Ed told us he needed to go to Kanama. It's an Ishvalen slum outside Central, but when I asked him why, he just told me

"There's someone there I need to talk to."

I just nodded. With the tone of voice he said it, I can tell the relationship with this person is dicey. Surprisingly, Greed doesn't argue. Maybe he learned to shut is mouth. Or, more likely, he needs to go to Kanama for 'his own reasons'. Since last night, I have no faith in Greed's 'reasons'.The thing is, there isn't enough time for us to get from Resembool to Kanama in a day, so we end up stopping in a little eastern town just north of East City.

It was small enough there weren't very many, if any, miliatry officers to reconize Ed, or any of us for that matter. But it was populated enough for us to get around without drawing too much attention to ourselves. Ed's only 'wanted' description was a boy in a red coat with a braid, so he had put on a black coat, and did his hair up in a pony tail, not unlike Greeling's. We found a small, inexpensive hotel to stay the night in. Daruis and Heinkel, being the only ones of age to check in without raising a few eyebrows, left Ed, Greed and outside in awkward silence.

We can't really break it, since there isn't really anything to talk about. Hey, so how are we going to save the country from utter destruction? Like that wouldn't turn a few heads. Darius and Heinkel come back, to give us the 4-1-1.

"We are only able to afford two rooms" They say

"Ok. I'll take one room, since I'm the only girl. You guys can take the rest." I say

"Woah!" says Ed "Who made you Queen?"

"We forgot to tell you each room has only one bed. It'll be awkward, but unless we get more money, that'll be it." Heinkel explains.

"Fine." I say. "Then how do you suppose we divide everything?"

***

"Tell me again how this works out well?" I ask Ed.

"Because we thought it best if all the children room together. It'll be less awkward." He explains

I beg to differ. I think as I set my bow down in the corner of the room. I look at Greed, leaning against the door with his arms folded. Why do I need to be with him? Again? The last time I was in the same room with him like this, it didn't end well.

There was only one bed in the small hotel room. Which means one of us will have to take the floor. Leaving the other two to the bed. Together. At night. Can you seen where this is going?

More importantly, can you see where I don't want this to be going?

"Who gets what?" Ed finally asks the question, and I'm dreading the answer.

"I'll take the floor!" I jump on the opportunity.

"No way." Says Greed "You're already sleep deprived. The group doesn't need you to be anymore grumpy."

"Shut up!"

"Told you."

"Then you take the floor."

"Hey, I want to sleep, too."

"I'll take it." Ed pipes in before it turned into a full scale fight between Greed and I.

"No! Ed how could you!" I say in a harsh whisper directed at him.

"Greed, you take the floor, I'll sleep with Ed." I say. It's more of a demand, actually.

"No, Greed's right, Leah." He says "You're sleep deprived, you need to be comfortable so you can rest. I'll take the floor. I'm used to it by now, so it won't keep me awake."