Part Two: Wrenches and Aliens

On the train, Ed explained everything about Winry. They were childhood friends, and she became a mechanic in Rush Valley. She's like me, having no parents. Not that I'd want to talk about that.

I also read the files on my brother's death.

He was killed on May 15, 1908, when the state alchemists were brought into the war to be used as human weapons. My brother was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was killed by falling debris on an attack on the Ishvalen soldiers by a state alchemist using a kind of
explosive alchemy.

A one Solf J. Kimblee was the one who killed him by accident. One of his own.

I had to leave to car. I pretended I was going out for air, when really, I didn't want the two boys to see me cry again. I watched my tears fly off the train, whisking by, and falling back to the ground, landing God knows where. Maybe they will help nourish a flower or grass or something. Then my pain won't all be for nothing.

I regained my composure and went back to the train car, lying that I was fine, and putting on the best fake smile I could muster. By that time, we had almost reached Rush Valley. We got off the train and grabbed our bags. Mine was heavy, since I had a few (maybe more than a few...) weapons in here.

As we walked down Main Street, I could see automail shops left and right. The town was built on them. Men, women, and children all had metal limbs, just like Ed and I. Some argued over which arm was strongest, or which pair of legs was fastest. It was pleasant to see even though these people don't have normal bodies, they are able to cope so easily, even have fun.

We finally reached a building reading "Atelier Garfiel". Ed takes a deep breath and steps into the doorway. Standing there is a girl, about me and Ed's age, with long blonde hair done up in a pony tail, reaching to her back. She wears a tube top, long brown pants and sandals, all covered in grease and oil. She glances at Ed and smiles, happy to see him.

"Hey Winry. You look awfully generous today." says Ed.

"Oh hi, Ed! It's nice to see you. It's not often you visit, so what brings you down here?"

"Well...." Ed puts on a pleading smile and raises his nearly broken right arm.

That's when I duck from the airborne wrench.

* **

"I can't believe you!" Winry says, taping up arm, as he lays immobilized and bloody-headed on a table.
"How many times have I told you to maintenance your arm AND leg! Seriously, what kind of trouble have you been getting into?"

"None of you business." Ed says blatantly.

"Fine. Al?" She turns and gives him the scariest look I've ever seen.

"Nothing," Al says, quickly and tensely. "No trouble."

"Find any leads for getting your bodies back?"

She must know about the transmutation. Good, if Ed and Al trust her, I can.

Ed sits up, opening and closing his fist.
"We're moving along little by little."

"Good. I'm glad to hear it." Winry nods. "Now then, who's this?"
She asks and looks at me.

"Oh that's.."

"Leah Sparks. Sorry for being so rude."

"Not a problem." she smiles, "Winry Rockbell." We shake hands.

"Sorry to ask, but.....come to think of it, could you maybe...look at my automail?" I ask.

"You have automail too?!" Her eyes sparkle with delight. "Oh sorry," she says, "I get a bit carried away sometimes."