Chapter Eight: Brother

Slowly I followed the people carrying Alphonse. The entrance led to a staircase, which I had already started making my way down. I was trying to keep my distance from these strange kidnappers, yet at the same time trying to pick up on what they were saying. It seemed like they were walking and talking at the same time, but I still couldn't get close enough to hear them, without jeopardizing my secrecy.

The end of the stairs led into a small room, a bar lounge, I suppose. There were a few red, sofa type pieces of furniture and some wooden crates stacked upon each other near the entrance. When the kidnappers enter the room, I use the shadows of the wall to sneak in behind the crates. Looking through a small space between two crates, I see the big guy with the grey hair placing Al down on the floor.

"Well done," says a voice. It's coming from the furniture's direction. The space between the crates isn't wide enough, so I can't see the person who was speaking.

"Yeah well, it wasn't easy. He put up one hell of a fight. You sure you can handle this kid?" Says the short guy, the one with the katona.

"I have no intention to fight him, so long as he doesn't pick a fight first."

"Whatever you say, boss," says the katona wielder.

"Hey," says Boss again, "Where's Martel, anyway?"

"In here," comes a voice, a female voice from within Al's armor, "But Roa, please be a little lighter next time, unless you want me to get a concussion."

"Hey you're not the only one to get beat up," says Roa, "Dolcetto got roughed up in that fight, too." Roa gestures to the guy with the katona.

"Oh! And by a fourteen year old kid, too!" Taunts Martel.

"Shut up!" Dolcetto cries, "Whatever, I'm going out. See you around."

"Don't let the pound catch you!" Taunts Martel again. A strange insult if you ask me.

"Ha ha ha," Dolcetto gives a fake laugh and turns the corner.

Is there another exit? I can't see him anymore, and that makes me anxious, but I have bigger problems at the moment.

   BSo this was a planned attack. What other time do you randomly find an empty suit of armor in the right place at the right time, drag him to your hideout against his will, to 'talk'? This is a carefully planned and executed kidnapping.If someone is inside a walking, talking suit of hollow armor, and not marveling at the fact it is empty, they knew about this all along. But do they know the whole story of the human transmutation? And what can this 'Boss' possible want from Al? What could you get from a soul bonded to a suit of armor who has seemingly already lost everything he once knew?

"Well this is new." I hear Dolcetto's voice from directly behind me, "I didn't know we had a mouse problem. Didn't your parents tell you it's not nice to eavesdrop, kid?"

With hardly anytime to turn around, I sprang from the wooden crates, just barely dodging the katona that, had I been half a second later, would have been in my head. The entire room was looking our direction, and I could feel their confused and eager gazes on my back. I unsheathed my sword, taking a battle position with its tip pointed at my opponent.

"Listen. I don't like fighting kids or girls. So put your sword down and I won't have to hurt you." He says.

"Try me." I spit at him.

Dolcetto sighs, "Then it looks like I'm doing this by force. I really hoped it wouldn't come to this."

He charges at me, sword pointed at me. I wait until for the last moment, then turn aside, causing him to miss me, the I swing my sword around, slicing off a the top of his hair.

Snickers and snorts are heard all around the room.

The spikes never suited you, you're probably better off" I say.

"You're tougher than I thought. I guess I'll have to stop going easy on you." He says. The corners of my mouth twitch into a smirk.

"Fine by me," I say.

"Don't kill her, 'kay." I hear Boss say.

I don't look at the speaker, deciding it was best to keep my focus on my current opponent considering what happened a few minutes ago.

"Yeah, Yeah." replies Dolcetto, as if he's been ordered not to kill people a million times before.

This time, I swing first, followed by a block from him, and vise versa. For a while it's all we do, hit, block, hit block, until I find an opening in his defenses and take it. I end up cutting his through the sleeve on his arm and drawing blood. I don't really want to hurt him mortally, just enough for him to quit. Surprised and in pain, he jumps back, takes a second to catch his breath, then charges again, this time leaping, his body and sword level with my neck.

I place both hands on my sword, bend over backward, so my torso is parallel to the ceiling, and drive my weapon into the floor behind me. I wait a few fractions of a second longer, until Dolcetto is right over top of me, lift my knees up to my chest ( using my sword for support and balance) and kick up, sending Dolcetto flying across the room.

Making use of the leftover momentum, I'm able to fly upward and pull my sword out of the ground. I land on my feet and once again point the tip of my blade at Dolcetto, who is currently upside down, against the wall

"You can stop this by giving me Al." I say.
"Not yet."

I swivel my head around to see Roa bringing down a massive hammer. Scrambling, I roll out of the way, seconds before the hammer smashes the concrete.

That was close.

I sprinted around Roa, stuck my sword in the floor again and push off of it. Bringing my automail leg up and kicking Roa in the back of the head as hard as I can. Roa falls to the floor, and I reached for my hidden kunai I had in a hidden sheath on my left leg, and throw it. It lands on Roa's sleeve on his coat (well that was close to puncturing his arm....) and drives deep into the concrete, pinning him there. It won't hold him long, just long enough so I can take down the next guy.

I pull my sword out of he floor and land in a sort of a feline-squat, my left leg under me, and my right left extended from the rest of my body. One arm was in front of my mouth, the other extended, taunting anyone who dares to come at me.

"Who's next?" I ask.

"Hey, hey, hey. I can't have all my henchmen beat up by a little kid like this. Honestly, it's embarrassing. But your skills are pretty sharp." 'Boss's' voice come from behind me.

I pivot around, hoping to knock him off his feet with my auto mail leg. He backs up just in time to save himself, so I grip my sword and swing it. As I come around I get the first look at the person who ordered his henchmen to kidnap Al. My sword nearly reaches his neck, then stops cold.

My hands tremble furiously and my jaw drops. The blood drains rushes from my face, and my eyes widen. I was shaking so much I unwillingly drop my sword. The clang of the metal resonates around the room for a few seconds as it hits the floor.

"Hey, kid, are you still in there?" 'Boss' asks.

But I'm not. I'm paralyzed with horror. How? How is this possible?

How am I staring into the face of my dead brother?