Chapter Twenty Seven: Something We Have To Do

So from now unto the next few chapters, I've kind of switched around a few events/where said events take place. JSYK.

Once I got deeper into the city, I kept only to the alleyways. I walked the streets with my head down and my hands in my pockets. You never know who's watching. For all I know, Bradley could be right around the corner. The people of the city were all gathered in the streets, gossiping over something they heard over the radio. From where I was, I leaned slightly around the corner of the alleyway, trying to listen in on two conversing people.

"Did you hear the Führer's train exploded?!"

"Yeah! They're interviewing his wife right now on the radio station! That poor lady, she doesn't know where her husband or her son are."

What? His train blew up? I'm not sure I believe it, it's pretty hard to kill that old bastard. Maybe I just don't want to believe it, otherwise I won't get my answers. Shaking my head, I keep walking down the dark routes of Central.

Pondering at what I just heard, I kept walking. Only, I was so distracted, I ended up running into a person on my way.

"Oh! I'm sorry! I didn't see you there!" I apologize.

I lift my head to look at the person I ran into. My eyes goes wide when I realize it's a soldier. Oh crap! They definitely were not part of my alliance like Colonel Mustang or Lieutenant Hawkeye. I try not to make eye contact with him and keep moving.

Only another soldier blocks my path.
They're both male, tall and intimidating. Their faces are stoic and hard, but they look to be not that much older than I am. One is on my left, he has dark hair and light eyes. The other on my right looks truly Amestrian, blonde hair and blue eyes.

I try and step past the one on my right, but he mirrors my movements. I say sorry, and try to go the other way, but he does the same thing. Looking behind me, I see the other soldier has moved in closer. I'm trying not to panic.

"Where do you think you're going?"
They ask.

"I'm going home-" I answer quietly.

"You're a bad liar." The blonde soldier says

"Please, I just need to pass through here-"

"You look a little beaten up. Are you sure you're ok?" There is no real sympathy in his voice, and he completely ignored me.

He knows I'm not from here, but what does it matter to them? The other soldier puts his hand on my arm where my half-jacket has ripped, running his finger over my cut.
I shudder and the physical contact, and also the burning pain that comes with it.

"Please, don't touch me." I say.

"We can do whatever we feel necessary to do. What's your name Miss?"

"Amber" I lie "Amber R-Redstone."

Dammit! Why am I such a bad liar? Of course I say the first thing that pops into my head! A mineral first name with the description of said mineral as a last name. I might as well have said 'Rocky Grayhard'.

"Really? I'm not sure I believe you. Did you know we've been given authority to arrest any suspicious looking citizen today?"

"No." I answer.

Could that have to do with The Promised Day? Is this to catch anyone who would try and foil the Father's plan? What about Ed and the others? Have they been caught, too?

"And did you know we were given descriptions of a few specific people of special interest?"

"No, sir."