Chapter Nineteen: Resembool

We finally reached Winry's house late that night. The house had no lights on, and it seemed desolate. Ed is the first to enter. He opens the door, and it slides with a long, eerie creek.

"I'll go look around," says Ed, "You guys stay here."

"Right." I reply.

By look around, Ed meant raid Winry's food pantry and make himself a sandwich.

"Really?" I ask him with my hands on my hips.

"How do you expect me to work on an empty stomach?" He says while scarfing down really everything in sight then going upstairs.

A long while passed, and I had a feeling that Ed had left us to do the work instead. Greeling was behind me, and I could feel his eyes staring at me. I think I would have a rage/panic attack if Darius and Heinkel weren't with me. My hate towards him was that strong; I can barely stand to be in the same room as him. I feel a little guilty for punching him though, not for his sake, but for the sake of injuring Ling's body.

Then we hear Winry's scream, and footsteps rushing up the stairs.

We run up as fast as we can, to see Ed with Winry in her room, clutching a wrench. Two soldiers have their guns pointed at Ed. Darius and Heinkel pull out their pistols, and point them at the two soldiers.

"Who are you?" Darius asks "Wait-you're from Briggs!"

"And you're Kimblee's men!"

Kimblee?! These guys worked for Kimblee? I thought he might have been dead. I assume the mean Solf. J.
The man who killed my brother.

"Everyone just put their guns down!"

A large dog with an automail leg rushes up the stairs, barking its face off. Greedling is late to join the party, so I step back, to get as far from him as I can. He picks up the dog by its collar, looking very unimpressed.

"Huh?" He asks, "What's going on?"

"Ling?" Winry asks from inside her room.

"Will someone shut that dog up!"

Winry looks like she is about to blow a gasket. He fist wraps tighter and tighter around her wrench. I've seen that look before, and I know what it means.

3...

2...

1...

"GET OUT OF MY ROOM!" She wails, and swings her wrench with such a force it sends everyone up into the air.

I hit the ground hard and groan. I try and get up, but, strangely something is holding me down. Did the dog land on me? I'm going against logic and hoping for that rather than...

"Hey." Says Greeling.

He's looking down on me and our bodies press together. Thanks a lot, Gravity. A sly, satisfactory smile rides up his face. It makes me want to throw up. Thinking about it now, I wonder why I don't spit in his face.

It might have been the shock, or utter disbelief, or even the anger that paralyzed me, and wouldn't process in my brain. A chill rides down my spine. Not a good chill, either. The kind that makes you feel like you've been tossed into a snake pit. Greed is the biggest, evilest snake I know.

"Get off!" I yell as I put my arm on the side if his face and roll him off of me.

***

"Sorry about that." One of the soldiers say, "Since we left, we've been acting as miss Winry's bodyguards."