Chapter Twenty Two: Advice from a Wise Man

The next morning I woke up alone. Ed wasn't awake yet and Greed wasn't there, and I was on his side of the bed. Maybe he left again, but it wouldn't bother me if he did. I sit up and look at the clock; 6:00 am. I sit up, rub my eyes and hold my head.

I feel nauseous. The nightmares came again last night. Ever since the Greed incident, the first Greed, that is, they've been pretty dormant. They only came back before I found out about Ling and the second Greed. Now they've returned.

I'm not claiming to be clairvoyant or anything, but it seems they come right when something bad happens. This one though, wasn't anything special. It was just Matthew going to Ishval, the way I remember it. Not just remembering, but not letting myself forget it. I was wrong about being done with suffering, and I've proved that several times over.

As long as Matthew is gone and Greed is here, my sufferings will never be over. At least one of those points I won't be able to change or control. I wish I knew that before I lost my leg and my Alchemy. There's always a struggle between letting go of the past, but still dealing with the pain. The thing is, the pain and hardships don't let you forget your sins.

I get out of bed and put my boots and half-jacket on. I grab my bow and quiver from the corner and sling them over my back. My kunai is still in a hidden sheath on my leg. It's then when Greed re-enters the room.

"Where were you?" I ask him.

"Getting organized," he says "I was helping Heinkel and Darius check out. They told me to come get you and the pipsqueak over there." He gestures to a still sleeping Ed on the floor.

I bend down and shake him up. He looks confused at first, but then stands up on his own.

"Good morning." I say.

"Morning." he says back, giving little effort.

He picks up the blanket and pillow he was laying on and places them on the bed.

"Let's go." he says.

We all walk out the door and down a few flights of stairs. A few of the employees gave us funny looks. Maybe because of the weapons across my back or because we all shared a room together. This really bothers me, and it makes my face burn; I don't want them to get the wrong idea. It's a good thing we're leaving.

We meet Heinkel and Darius in the lobby. We nod at each other then exit the building. Without even talking, everyone knows where to go. We still don't have a car, so we're going by foot to Kanama. We start going North-West towards the slums.

"Did everyone sleep ok? Are you all rested for today, I mean." Ed asks

Greed looks at me, grinning.
"I'd say more than ok." He says

"What are you talking about?" I whispered through my teeth.

"You got pretty close with me last night."

"What?! I did not! You're lying through your teeth!"

"Do I really need to tell you again that I don't lie? You did. You were sleeping, and I think you were having a nightmare, so you cuddled right up to me. After that you calmed right down."

My stomach turns at the phrase 'cuddled up'. I would never do anything like that, especially not with him!

Would I?

I did wake up on that side of the bed....oh crap! Why?! And I nightmare means...I usually talk in my sleep...

"Did I...say anything?" I hesitantly ask.

"Come to think of it," Greed says (I'm already fearing the answer), "You mentioned Matthew, then Ling...then you said my name. You smiled, and seemed very.... pleased."