Chapter 27 - 2019

Chapter 27

31st October 2019 (10 years later)

'I look back on that day when we sat by the fountain. Ten years to the dot. Our hands sweating, my heart pounding thirty times faster than normal. So much riding on one thing. Our entire friendship crossing the line and entering the relationship status." Dan took a deep breath. He'd been preparing this speech for years.

His best friend stood in front of him dressing in a black suit and bow tie, a spotty one at that because obviously Phil had to be childish even in serious situations. That's what Dan loved about him, his childish charm and immature mind.

- - - - - -

The Christmas after they admitted their true feelings to one another was even more emotional when they said 'I love you' for the first time. Dan was sat on Phil's bed as he'd come to visit before Christmas so he could give him his present. Phil also wanted to include him in a big Christmas Spectacular for his YouTube channel. Which Dan was surprised he was now incredibly known and loved on. His own channel growing more popular every day.

As they sat editing, by that it was Phil editing whilst Dan sat trying different ways to distract him. From biting his neck softly and kissing as much of him as he could. Phil turned to Dan with fake annoyance on his face before jumping out of his editing chair and tackling Dan onto his bed. The pair tangled themselves amongst the bedsheets, hearing Phil's rickety bed creaking underneath their movement. Their lips pressed together with a tight kiss and their bodies wrapped around one another. It was as Phil took a breather, looking down at Dan that he felt the words tumble out of his mouth.

"I love you."

Phil quickly slapped his hand to his mouth and his eyes grew wide. "Shit." he muttered under his breath, he feared this would happen. He'd been wanting to say it to Dan since the fountain incident but his sensible part of his brain kept telling him it was too soon. Yet he'd truly fucked up this time. He couldn't look at Dan. Fear was drowning him and he felt his throat start to close up. He couldn't breath and was trying his best to not just breakdown right there.

He felt a soft hand reach out and touch his face. As Dan turned his head round to face him again, Phil was met with tears streaming down Dan's face.

"Do you mean that?" Dan whispered.

"What?" Phil asked.

"Do you mean what you just said?"

Phil took a deep breath. He'd been wanting to save this for a more romantic moment such as a fancy meal he planned to take Dan on in the near future. But the words had already tumbled so he might as well roll with it.

"Yes Dan. I love you. You are the most insanely beautiful person I have ever met. Inside and out. I care for you to point where I wonder ever second what it is you you're thinking and love you to the point I hope its me who's wondering round in that big brain of yours." Phil wasn't even sure if he was making any sense but the words where just spilling out without even coherent thought. "All I ever want to do is make you happy. Your smile brings pure joy to me and it's now my main goal to always keep that smile there. You deserve happiness Dan and I truly hope it's me who can bring it to you."

A silence between the two boys fell. Phil could hear his heart pounding throughout his entire body. He wanted to say so much more yet he feared as though he'd never be able to stop his words and would end out annoying Dan to the point he would get bored of hearing it all. He'd try his best to say the rest of those words for other occasions, if there were any.

He started down at Dan with large eyes full of a mix of love and worry. He feared Dan would get up and leave due to the short timing he'd said all this in. He feared Dan wouldn't have the same feelings for him and get scarred, running from Phil all the way back home to Reading. Phil took a deep breath.

"I love you too Phil."

The words echoed in Phil's head. "I'm sorry I missed that." Phil blinked.

Dan giggled, "I love you too Phillip Michael Lester."

Phil certainly heard the words that time. His heart started to bounce with glee as he felt the fear rise from his body, he felt weightless. A relief of pure happiness filled his body as he felt tears come to his eyes. "You sure?" he whispered, "you can take it back if you want! I'll pretend I never heard it."

"No." Dan laughed a little louder and bought Phil in closer, "I want you to have heard the words Phil. I love you. I can spell it out need be."

"No need." And with that Phil practically jumped onto Dan and hugged him with all the love he could give him."

- - - - - - - - - -

Dan smiled at the memory. They were boys back then, boys hooked up on love. They still where. Here they stood at the altar, with a crowd of friends and family looking up at them on their wedding day.

Most would say it was a bad omen getting married on Halloween but the pair simply found it all the more perfect. They wanted the day all to themselves and since no one else would get married on this day, it seemed perfect! Especially with it matching the day they first said they had feelings for one another ten years ago.

Dan took a deep breath and continued with his vows, "Phil. I promise to always love you since the first time we said it to one another. I promise to make our bed every morning since the first time we moved in together. i promise to have fun as much as we did have fun the first time."

Dan heard the crowd laugh at that promise. He never told his friends the story of the first time he and Phil had sex. It was an intimate moment between the pair of them that he wanted to only keep between the two of them. He always told jokes saying, one of them had fallen off the bed or had got confused as to how it worked. But he never shared the perfect moment. That was to be kept safe in both their heads until the day they died.

Dan continued, "I promise to admire your blue eyes, to admire you dark hair and to admire your perfect personality. All as much as we did as the first time I laid eyes to you on my computer screen ten years ago. The first time we met will always be a special day to me and this day too, will share that top spot. I Daniel James Howell would like to become Daniel James Howell Lester."

THE END