Somehow Don't You Dare Fail

another phone chapter just because

"Josh?"

"Ah, missed me already?"

"No, you just left your clothes here."

"That's fine. I might need extras one day, you never know."

"..."

"Is that the only reason?"

"Okay, I missed you."

"Aha! Just say it, I'm irresistible."

"You're irresistible. For a slut."

"Is that your new nickname for me or something? Am I just going to see you again tomorrow and you'll just greet me by calling me a slut?"

"Well, you know how it goes. I slap you like a bitch and you take it like a whore."

"Our relationship in a nutshell."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"Is Matt still there?"

"Yeah. Part of the reason why I missed you, I guess. Seeing them together."

"It took him long enough to make his move, didn't it?"

"Yeah, it was pretty obvious. Like, as soon as they met he couldn't stop staring at her. Except it was cute when he did it."

"Is it ever not?"

"Yeah, when you do."

"Are you really starting with that again?"

"Did I ever stop?"

"..."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"I was thinking. You remember how we were talking about having kids?"

"Are you trying to tell me that you're pregnant? Josh, I told you to use protection."

"No."

"Wait--am I pregnant? What? What are you trying to say? JOSH I TOLD YOU TO USE PROTECTION."

"No. Well...I don't know. Are you? I mean, whatever, I love you enough that that's fine, but really? What a weird way to find out."

"I don't think I am. What are you trying to say?"

"I don't...yeah, no, it's stupid. Forget it."

"Whatever you have to say, it's not stupid."

"You don't even know what it is."

"I know it's not stupid."

"Would I be a good dad?"

"Okay, yeah, that's stupid."

"Wow. I feel so loved right now, Collin, truly."

"No--I just mean; I don't know. God, Josh, there's no way for me to know that. You aren't a dad. Maybe you won't even be the father of my child-"

"What?!"

"Not in that way. I mean, maybe you'll move on to a new girl and get married to her and love her. And maybe you'll have kids with her. I just, I know that no matter who you end up with and if you two have kids or not, you'll always try. You'll try to be the best husband, try to be the best father that you possibly can. And that's what counts, right?"