Ever After Was Mine

"Happy birthday, slut," Collin said, placing a slice of cake in front of him. "Now hurry so we can get back to playing."

The sounds of pins being knocked down in the background mixed with various yells and conversations to create the perfect medley for the bowling alley. Chaos in every corner, but not quite the purge. Loud enough that nothing could ever be awkward and quiet enough that your ears didn't explode. Well, nearly quiet enough.

Josh grinned, taking a bit of frosting from the edge of his piece and wiping it on Collin's forehead. "Remember that?"

Meg took his cake and handed it to Mike. "I'm afraid we're going to have to stop you there, Josh. The last thing we need is another flour disaster."

"Once again, I'm not the one who decided to go around threatening to murder people just because of a little mess."

"Little? It was not li-"

Matt put a hand on her arm, not taking his eyes from the hockey game playing on a tv in the corner of the bar. "Shh, it's his birthday. Murder him afterwards."

Meg narrowed her eyes at Josh, stabbing her cake with more force than necessary. "I'll see you at midnight."

Ian pushed away his already empty bowl, glaring at them all impatiently. "Can we keep playing? You guys are such slow eaters!"

"Eat this," Mike pushed the still mostly full carton of ice cream at him. "Then we'll see, alright?"

He shrugged, grabbing his spoon and digging in. 

No one spoke for a few minutes, slowly devouring the cake piece by piece. There was an unspoken competition between Josh and Matt to see who could eat the most, but both of them were clutching their stomachs before Meg had even come up for air. 

"What?" She asked, seeing everyone's stares. "It's good cake."

Collin shook her head and turned to her boyfriend. "So, how does it feel to be one year older?"

"Great. Absolutely amazing. I could jump off a bridge right now. I'd probably die, but it feels like I would survive. Like Superman."

"As far as I know, Superman wasn't into that sort of thing." Mike pointed out. 

"Than like that dude from It's A Wonderful Life. Except...you get the point, right? Maybe it's just the beer."

Collin frowned at his drink. "You've only had one. Less than one. Half."

"Then maybe I'm just insane." 

"That you definitely are."