The Interview

MONDAY JULY 30, 1992  8 AM.

Michael; Hello. I am here to see Mr. Gordy. I have an 8 am appointment.

Woman at desk; Alright, and you are?

Michael. Dr. Michael Jackson.

Woman at desk:  Oh yes. He’s expecting you. Please go right in. Last door on your left.

Michael; Thank you  ma’am. Michael smiles and turns and walks down the hall to the door on left.

Knocking firmly….

Mr. Gordy; Come in. he calls from behind the door.

Michael; opening the door peaking in. Mr. Gordy?

Mr. Gordy: Yes?

Michael; I’m Dr. Jackson. Michael Jackson. He says confidently.

Mr. Gordy: Yes, of course, come please have a seat and we will get started. Would you like a cup of coffee or anything to start?

Michael; Coffee sounds great actually. Smiling

Mr. Gordy; Smiling. I’ll have Ms Di Passe bring some in. Cream and sugar?

Michael; Yes please.

Mr. Gord; buzz….Ms.Di Passe? Will you bring in a cup of coffee for Dr. Jackson please. Cream and sugar too? Thank you.

Ms. Di Passe. Yes, sir, right away.

Mr. Gordy; It’ll be right in. She’s very quick. Smiling. Did you have any trouble with parking or finding us?

Michael; No, no. I was able to slide right in. I actually arrived last night. I’m staying at the Ramada off Sunset.

Mr. Gordy; Oh, yes, that’s a good place to stay.

Michael;  Yes, it seems like a nice place so far..

Mr; Gordy was about to say something more when the door opened and in walked Ms. Di Passe with Michael’s coffee and another one for him.

Mr. Gordy: Thank you Susan. That will be all and please hold all my calls for the next 3 hours.

Ms. Di Passe; Yes sir. It was nice meeting you Dr. Jackson, she smiled and left them quietly.

Mr. Gordy; Michael. May I call you Michael?

Michael; Sure, smiling. Michael is fine.

Mr. Gordy; Michael, your resume is very impressive. I have to say I like your field of study and it’s compatible by what we are seeking here at Children’s Hospital. How are you at working with other doctors and nurses?

Michael; shaking head, smiling. I have no problems at all. I can have a letter of recommendation faxed to you within the hour if you wish detailing further my residency at St. Joseph’s Medical Center in Burbank California.

Mr. Gordy; Smiling. Oh no, that’s not necessary. I have what I need right here with you and your resume. Micahel if I wasn’t interested or didn’t like what I see, you wouldn’t be here now. We are a very busy hospital and don’t have time to play or stall on anything. It’s about the care of our patients. The faster we get them in and treated, the faster we can get them out. Numbers are very big around here. The better the service the faster the care.

Michael; How many children are on a ward at any given time?

Mr. Gordy, reaching into his file cabinet. Pulling out the mission statement and another file. Here, you will find all you are wanting to know here. Curently, we have about 15 in each ward. But it averages between 25 and 30 depending. Mostly the burn and cancer wards are always the most full.  We get a lot of repeat admins with those two, unfortunately.