In Walks......Destiny??

SEPTEMBER 1st , 1993 MICHELLE WILSON’S FIRST DAY…..

Michelle; Hello. I’m reporting for duty. She had boxes in her arms, the girl looks up from her desk.

Ms. O’Neal: You are the new Head of Nurses for Peds?

Michael; I am Ms. O’Neal and you are my secretary I believe from what Ms. Scouse said. You were on vacation when I was hired?

Ms. O’Neal; Yes, I was. Come this way. She gets up and leads Michelle to the office and unlocks it. Here’s your keys, My ext is 1243. I will have Mr. Bray come up and help you move whatever you need into your office. Ms. Scrouse called sick and Mr. Gordy’s stuck in New York. His flight was cancelled. The Head of Peds Dr is off today. He will be in tomorrow 8 am.

Michelle; Okay. Thank you. Michelle walks in begins to clean her office and put things away as she wants them.

Mr. Bray; Ms. Wilson? You need me?

Michelle; Michelle smiling. Yes. Can you help me move the furniture and bring up 4 boxes from my car for me. I had to park in another spot today in the lot as they have my spot blocked off for something.

Mr. Bray. You can call me Bill. Smiling. Sure. Here where do you want this cabinet? The parking should be ready tonight. Mr. Gordy asked me to clear coat your spot for you so it looked nice and clean and new. There how’s that?

Michelle; Oh, okay Bill. That looks fine. I want to put the sofa against that wall if I can? Do you think it’ll fit?

Mr. Bray; I think so. Let me move it and see. He moves it and looks at it. What do you think Michelle?

Michelle; I don’t think it looks half bad. Thanks Bill. Smiling. Okay. Let’s go get the boxes. I know you have things to do.

Mr. Bray; That’s fine. Let’s go. I need to stop by the maintenance shed and grab the dollley though. They left to go down the hall to the elevator. Ms. Di Passe and Ms. O’Neal were busy typing their reports for Mr. Gordy and Ms. Scrouse.

Michelle; Here we go. There are just these four. Bill and Michelle loaded up the dolley and got done with it. She locked up her car and they headed back to her office.

Mr. Bray; There you are Michelle. Anything else I can do for you?

Michelle; No, no, I think that’s all. I think…umm…yes. That’s it. Thank you so much Bill.

Mr. Bray; You are welcome Michelle. Welcome to Children’s Hospital. Smiling

Michael; Thank you. I think I am going to love it here. Smiling softly.

Mr; Bray; I hope so. Walking back to the elevator and disappearing within.

Michelle unpacks and gets things hung up and cleaned up. The room looks bright and cheery in no time. She puts her things away. The medical books she brought and the little touches to make her office inviting to her nursing staff. She wanted to create a sense of calm. They were of course an integral part of the hospital. Michael checked the charts and the number and saw a descrepency in them so she decided to check the floors on her own and do a bed count and patient count. Maybe she would meet some of the nurses.

IN THE AIDS WARD…….

Michelle walks around the floor and does a bed count. She looks in on patients and notices nurses just muling around and not really checking on the comfort of the patient. Then she sees some interacting with the patients and talking with them reading to them and getting them to laugh, She saw a few nurses helping patients move around the floors in wheelchairs and sit by windows. These are all things that Dr. Jackson suggested to help boost the patients moral and will to keep fighting and living. He wanted to encourage that the nurses work with the patients and get them out of bed the ones who are able to be.