Chapter 18

Chuck's P

Chuck's P. O. V.

"Blair do yo-" I was cut off by the sharp sound of shattering glass. Leah's room.
Blair heard it too.

We both jumped from our comfortable position on the bed and rushed to see Leah.
She was sprawled on the bed, her laptop was next to her foot.

"Call 911." I instructed.
Blair did, trembling as she dialed.

Leah's thin wrist clutched a red pill; her medicine. Next to her was a box. I opened it to find of everyone pictures, mostly with Nate. The pictures were taken in a place I recognize- Central Park.
Grass, trees, lakes, candids, silhouettes; these pictures include them all.

I was confused. She didn't have a polaroid camera.
Did Nate get her one? I wonder.

Blair said,
"I called Bart too. He needs to know."
I nodded.

The paramedics came with a stretcher. They carefully picked her up and placed her. I kissed her forehead, and squeezed her hand for the last time.

Blair and I took a car to follow the ambulance to the hospital. I was definitely having a déjà vu.

Leah's Subconscious

A warm hand holds mine.
"Wake up." I tell myself.
It isn't long before sleep wins the battle.

Chuck

We reached the hospital and went to the floor Leah was on. As the doors swung open, I felt overwhelmed by the white walls and smell of disinfectant. I felt a panic attack coming as my breath became heavy. I sank down against the wall and Blair sat down next to me.

"What happened to her?" I asked. I was too scared to go into the hospital room and ask the doctor. I couldn't...

"She's in a coma. You need to be brave. Go see her. She probably needs you more than you need her." Blair put her warm hand on my bicep.

"Barts here? Lilly's here? Serena's here?" I asked desperately and helplessly
"Bart is in Beijing. But everyone else is here."
"Chuck." She looks into my eyes.

"My mother never game me enough time as a child. She thought I was weak. And in the moment that mattered the most I was. I didn't go visit her in the hospital. I didn't want to. I've been pushing myself to prove her wrong ever since then. I'm pushing you away. I pushed Leah away. She's my weakness. My sister. My blood. I love her Blair. I can't lose her." I blinked back the tears forming in my eyes.

"I dont think you ran away because you couldn't handle death. You couldn't handle feelings. But you're not like that anymore. You carry people. You carry me. You carry Leah. Chuck you're becoming a man in a way your father isn't and never will be. Come. Let's go see her." Blair's fingers interlocked with mine and she helped me up. I struggled to walk and she held me for support. I kissed her forehead and snuggled into her. If anything happened to Leah, I don't know what I would do.

I walked into the hospital room. She was on the ventilator and her facial features were covered by an oxygen mask.

Nate's P.O.V.

"Hello, Nate." My best friend's voice floods through the silence of my room.
"Hi Chuck. What happened?"
its two am. Chuck would only call me if he was completely wasted or actually in trouble.

"Its Leah. She passed out. We're at the hospital.
I freeze.
"Why didn't you call me earlier?" I asked in urgency.
"I did. You didn't pick up." I can almost see Chuck rolling his eyes.

Its true. After being heartbroken over Lee, I had been smoking and drinking the whole day.
"I'm leaving now."
"And that's how to make your Archibald ass move." Chuck whispered and hung up.

I walked into the gates of St. John's hospital.
"Hi. I've come for Leeandra Bass." I said to the receptionist.
"Okay. Second floor. Room 206." He replied. He told me to sign. I did, and ran to catch the elevator. I pressed the second floor.

The elevator went 'ding' and I stepped out.

201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206.

I saw Chuck and Blair.
"Wow, you look stoned." Blair commented.
I ignored her.
"She's in coma." Chuck said weakly.
"What?!" I screamed.

"Do you know anything about a pink box of Louboutins and a polaroid camera?" Blair asked me.
"That's her memory box. I bought her the camera on our way to the park, like, four weeks ago!"

"It was lying on her bed."
"Shes gone into a coma because the anorexia got way too extreme."

I stumbled backward.

"So you don't know if she could just die in the next two minutes?!" I screamed, now louder than before.
"Calm down, Nathaniel." Chuck said venomously.
"Cal down? You expect me to stay calm?! She could die!"
"Nate!" Blair scolded.

"I have to go see her." I pushed Blair out of my way and went into her private room.