Chapter 21

I rubbed my eyes and seat on my respective chair on the dining table "Good morning

"Good morning." I smiled at Lily, Serena and Eric.
"Morning." Eric said.
Lily was extremely engrossed in listening to Bart's phone call.
"No. What do you mean he can't?" Bart demanded.
Lily frowned as she pushed the newspaper towards me.

The headlines said, Archibald Indicted.
The captain was being charged for fraud, embezzlement and possession of drugs.
Bart cut the phone and sat down on the table.
"My business deal with Howard Archibald just blew up."

"Poor Nate. He looks so helpless." I mumbled.
"Who cares about that? My business is at stake!" Bart said.
"Bart everything isn't a business deal." Lily told him.
I got up from my chair and decided to call him.

Nate

"I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal of this. It's just a misunderstanding. It'll be cleared up in time." Dad shrugged.
"Yes it will. After your trial in court. This is real, Howard. The only reason you aren't behind bars right now is beside your wife could afford your bail ." The lawyer told him.

"And I would have paid ten times that amount. You're not going to jail." Mom said to dad.
"We're going to do everything to make sure that doesn't happen." The lawyer assured.
"Its clearly a setup. Someone's got an agenda." Dad said dryly.

"Dad would you just shut up and listen to him?" I snapped.
"Nate!" Mom scolded.
My phone rang in my pocket and I answered it without checking the caller ID.

"Hey Nate. I read the paper and I just wanted to check on you." Leah's gentle voice said.
We had been dating for a long time now. I didn't want to snap at her so I simply said,
"I'm fine. I haven't been kidnapped or shot."

Okay. That was ruder than expected.

"No. It's because - I -"
"Leah I'm tired and sleepy. Please mind your own business. And since when do you read the paper anyway?" I says harshly.

"You know what, Nate? I don't need this. I'm sorry I even called."
"No, your royal highness. Don't be sorry about anything." I hung up on her.

"Would some sort of.. A plea work?" I asked the lawyer.
"A plea? You think I'm guilty?" Dad demanded.
"Dad it's just a question."
"This is a conversation for adults. Nate why don't you go freshen up?" Mom suggested.
I rolled my eyes and went to my bedroom.

I plugged in my earphones and raised the volume.

"Nathaniel I've been calling you for the past twenty minutes." Mom sighed and took my earphones out.

I sat up and looked her in the eye.
"Leah's birthday party is tonight isn't it?"
I nodded.
"I was thinking you should give her something special."
"She wants the Harry Winston chocker she saw in the store that day."

"Something more special than that." Mom took out her Cornelius Vanderbilt ring and placed it in my palm.
"Mom that's your family heirloom. I'm not giving it to Leah. Plus, it's an engagement ring ." I gave it back to her.

"I'm not asking you to propose. It's just that your father really needs this business deal with Bart Bass. His lawyers may have called but what difference does it make? She needs to know that you respect her loyalty."

"Her loyalty or her father's?"
"Just give it to her."
"I can't. We just had a fight." I told mom.
"Well then resolve it." Mom snapped and left the ring with me.

Leah

Blair, Serena and I laughed as we went up the elevator to my birthday party.
"Hey!" Serena says to Kati, Is, Penelope and Hazel.
"Omigosh! Happy birthday Leah!" Everyone said.
"Wow. Kati your brother's place is incredible." I gushed.

"I know right? Come on let's check it out." Blair and I linked arms as Isabelle led the way.

"Dan's bringing his childhood friend Vanessa. I don't know what to do. He told her that he loved her a long time ago and she's back now. She told him that she loves him." Serena told me.

"Yeah well he loved her. Now he loves you." I shrugged.
"I guess." She says nervously.
"Oh look! It's Dan! .... And Vanessa." Serena dragged me towards her low rent boyfriend.

"Happy birthday Leah." Dan said.
"This is Vanessa." He introduced his friend.
"Oh sweetie, you did not tell me she looked like that." I whispered in Serena's ear.
"Hi! I'm Leah Bass!" I fake smiled at Vanessa and stretched out my hand.

"I gotta go look for Nate. We fought this morning but I'm really hoping he'll show." I told Serena and left.

XôXØ

"Make a wish Leah!" Blair said as we stood in front of my birthday cake.
I saw Nate give me a goofy smile as he walked out of the elevator.
"It already came true." I beamed and ran into Nate's arms.