Chapter 30

Leah

A month had passed since Evelyn announced her return. Bart and Lily had gotten a divorce and I was supposed to meet my parents at the restaurant any minute now.

The limo came to halt and I stepped out, wondering why Bart and Evelyn wanted to suddenly meet both of their children.

"You're late." Evelyn observed.
I rolled my eyes at her as the waitor filled our glasses with champagne.
"Why is there champagne? And mom, why are you wearing an engagement ring?" Chuck asked.
"Oh no. You're not getting married, are you?" I panicked.

Bart, Evelyn and I under the same roof was a recipe disaster.

"We are." Evelyn said.
"For a business deal." I muttered my breath.

"Got it. Can I go now?" I got up.
"Sit. You're not going anywhere." Bart instructed.
"And why is that?" I pulled a face.

Evelyn glared at me. I just sat down because I didn't want to cause a scene.
"I'm getting the penthouse renovated. We all will move in and live as a family."
"We're not eleven, mother." Chuck snorted.

"Why must you do this?" I sighed.
"Hi. Can I take your order?" A cheery waitress approached us.
We all placed our order and continued our conversation.

"Leah, can you not be a pain for once in your life?"
"Mom, can you leave me alone for once in your life?" I retorted.

The waiter brought our food and I pushed my fork into my ravioli as soon as I could. Gosh, I was starving.
I would normally never eat like this – especially in front of Evelyn – but I was extremely hungry since the last thing I had eaten was a toast at breakfast.

"Go easy on the ravioli, Leah. You ordered the wrong thing. That pasta reeks of oil." Evelyn observed.
"Whatever." I replied bluntly.
"What kind of a business deal is this again?" Chuck asked.
Bart cleared his throat and changed the topic.
How typical of him.

"So, Leah, have you met Louis Grimaldi?"
"Uh, no. What's a Louis Grimaldi?"
"Prince of Monaco." Chuck told me.
"Oh. No, I haven't. And why do I need to know him?"

"His father was a friend of mine. You should probably stop dreaming about Nate and get together with Loius. You'll see him at the Charity Gala." Bart said.

"And why is this gala even happening?" I asked, bored.
"Because your mother and I have funded the building of many clinics and hospitals in Africa."
"Wow. You do good stuff. Oh, then again, maybe even Bart Bass doesn't hate babies. I think Disney did a study." Chuck remarked with a hint of sarcasm and cockiness.
I just snickered.

"Yeah. Yeah, I read about in the newspaper last morning." I played along.
"Alright that's enough Charles and Leeandra." Mom hissed through her pearly whites.
"Of course, mother." I flashed her a sickengly sweet smile.