Chapter 28

Leah

I hailed a taxi after my interview with the Dean at Columbia University and headed to Madison Avenue. I was waiting for Blair to meet me at Sarabeth's for breakfast, but I saw the same woman again, the one I saw in Bendel's the other day. The woman I thought was my mother.

I texted Blair saying I'm sorry and that we had to reschedule because some urgent work came up. I wore my Chanel sunglasses and pretended to read the paper lying at my table. I quickly glanced at the woman and look back down. It really was my mother. But why would she suddenly just leave? And why would she come back after all these years?

I saw her walking out of the restaurant and I waited for her to get into her car before I hailed another cab and told the driver to follow her.

Strangley enough, she pulled up outside the Bass Industries building. I followed her inside and watched her get the elevator as I took another one. I got of at the top floor, where Bart's office was, expecting her to be there.

I wasn't surprised when she walked into his office confidently as I waited outside. I heard some indistinct conversation between the two. I decided I couldn't wait any longer. I had to know why she takes her own death and why she was back now.

I barged into his office, to see the both of my parents in the middle of a heated argument.
"Mom?"
"Leah, look at you!" She exclaims. "You look marvellous!" She pushes a few strands of start hair behind my ears.
"That's all you're going to say to me after twelve years?" A year trickles down my cheek.
"Well of course. Everything looks good on skinny."

I pulled her hand off of me and finally asked,
"Why'd you walk out on us?"
"Sit down, Leeandra. This may take us a while." She gestured towards the chair on her right.
I took a deep breath and sat down.
My mother wasn't very fond of me while I was growing up. She would constantly pick on my flaws and try to make me look more 'presentable', as she calls it.
I also knew that she hated liars. But maybe that had changed over the years...

"Just get this over with. I don't have all day."
"Look, giving birth at twenty one and handling two children isn't easy-"

"What do you know? I was raised by an au-pair." I cut her off.
"I couldn't handle all of it. It was too much." She replies vaguely.

"What exactly are you trying to say? I have a shoot to attend and I'll be late." I rolled my eyes.
"I left because of you."
"Wow. You instigated my anorexia and you're the one who 'died'?" I scoffed.
"You know what, I hate you. I finally started feeling like I was important and I know you'll ruin it." I added.

"Leah, you need to mind your attitude."
"Really? I don't think I need to be nice to you. I used to jog up and down the staircase for a year after you left! So I don't have to behave that I'm okay with you just suddenly coming back and messing up my life!" I screamed.
"Fine. If you want that." She pursed her lips.

"I see you've landed yourself an Archibald. Your first stable boyfriend you've had in a long time. But, as much as I hate to break it to you, he's not going to make you happy. His father is rotting in prison and his mother is a clueless socialite."
"Really? And what is your 'occupation'?" I snorted.
"If you don't remember, I was one of the most successful lawyers in the state."
"You, know, mother, if I ever have two children at twenty one, I'll give them ten times more of the love and care they deserve. I'll accept them for who they are and whomever they date. And I'll make sure they damn well know it." I said and stormed out.