Chapter 3

"Great! Where are we going?" Was Pippin's answer to Elrond's comment and I sighed, hitting my forehead.

~~~~~~~

The next morning as the Fellowship prepared for departure my father wandered up and put his hand on my shoulder. Choosing privacy, instead of the many languages he speaks he gestured with his hands.
Must you come with us Lin.
I stared at him before answering. Why must I stay behind when you travel and get all the glory.
I smiled under the hood and knew he saw as he continued. I would much rather you stay behind and protect Rivendell if we were to fail.
If you were to fall there wouldn't be a Rivendell to protect. Not for me at least.
He smiled gently and nodded but still didn't look all that pleased.
The others do not trust you. They do not know who you are and therefore believe you are not trustworthy.
I looked at him before glancing at the others. Boromir, Legolas and Gimli were watching us out of the corner of their eyes, where as the hobbits were too innocent to believe anything to be a threat. 

Then I shall have to gain their trust some other way. I gestured haughtily and waved at Arwen, watching us. Seeing her my father quickly walks away leaving me to my preparation. Walking back to my room i entered and grabbed a dark blue tunic and a pair of black leggings matching them with a pair of black knee high boots. Entering my bathroom I quickly changed, tightening a belt with my sword throwing knives around my chest and hip. Entering my room again I pulled my dark brown hooded cloak over the top and grabbed my bow and quiver swinging them across my back and settling my long knives behind them to create a cross, across my back. Grabbing two daggers I stuck one in my thigh sheath and one in an ankle sheath on my boot. Exiting my room I entered the courtyard where the rest stood prepared to leave and joined them. Standing beside Gandalf I gestured in greeting and started up a silent conversation in our minds. Gandalf being one of even fewer to hear my inner voice. As the final stragglers arrived we stood before Elrond as he came to say goodbye.

"The Ring-bearer is setting out on the Quest of Mount Doom. On you, who travel with him, no oath nor bond is laid, to go further than you will. Farewell. Hold to your purpose. May the blessings of Elves and Men and all free folk go with you."
All of the others stood straighter and looked important but I remained in my neutral position rolling my eyes awaiting the moment they would begin to walk. Noticing Arwen I glanced at my father soon realising a small tension running through the air between them. Obviously my father had said something disagreeable, once again I rolled my eyes and stepped closer to my father as we began to move out, Frodo leading the way.
As we neared a fork in the road Frodo slowed down leaning slightly to ask Gandalf which way Mordor was.

"Left." I hear Gandalf murmur to him as we turned left, starting out on our journey.
As we walked I kept close to the front beside the hobbits, listening to Pippin and Merry's tales of the shire. I smiled at the tales of the thievery of the farm lands. I laughed along at their stories of drunken singing upon tables. After a while they tired and dropped behind leaving me alone with Gandalf and Aragorn. As we went I talked to them in our minds. We carried on for another couple of hours before stopping for drinks and a bit to eat. Starting off again I stayed at the back silently walking next to Boromir, who seemed to be brooding over something. As we walked he kept glancing at me, trying to see who I was. After a while I got irritated and looked at Boromir my face shadowed and still hidden.

I gestured quickly, quirking a brow at him.
"I do not know what you are trying to say." I grinned as he got more frustrated the more I gestured. Growling in frustration he called in front. "Aragorn tell your companion to speak for I cannot understand the weird hand signals."
"Then you will just have to survive with no answer for my companion does not speak."
Boromir kept silent and did not press he matter before storming ahead. 

~~~~~~~~~

Pausing on an outcropping of rocks Gimli came and settled beside me on a rock.
"What is your name, laddie?" I saw Aragorn look at us before Gimli continued. "What happened to a lad such as you to make you go silent?"
Boromir walked up too and looked down at us. "Aye, I've been wondering such a thing too. And you walk as if you're a young man and not old. Pray tell who might you be young man so I may fight side by side with you as a man."
I ground my teeth and looked up at Aragorn, he was smirking at me knowing how frustrated I was when men assumed only men could fight. What made it worse was when Legolas wondered up to us.
"Yes I've been wondering too. What kind of man travels around with Aragorn? He must be quite powerful." Glaring at him I looked back at Aragorn frowning deeply.
"Careful my friends, my daughter dislikes thinking women are unable to fight." I grinned evilly at their shocked expressions.
"Your daughter?" Boromir exclaims looking between the two of us. Aragorn silently nods, while Gandalf chuckles, obviously enjoying the show.
"Yes, my adopted daughter, Linwaethiel." He looked at the three stunned men before turning to Gandalf. "We should set off again."

~~~~~~~~~

A few days later we reached another outcrop of rocks and rested for a while. As we rested Boromir taught the two hobbits how to fight. After accidentally hitting Merry, the two hobbits pushed over Boromir taking him by surprise. When my father tried getting involved they turned on him and I silently laughed. After a stern look from him I went back to silently eating my apple, looking out upon the view from my rock.

I turn when I hear Sam asking Legolas what he sees. Being the disheartening dwarf he is Gimli mutters a quick retort.
"Nothing, it's just a whiff of cloud." I growl in frustration.
Boromir gets up looking at the sky. "It's moving fast... against the wind."
Suddenly recognising what it is Legolas shout. "Crebain from Dunland!"
"Hide!" Yells my father diving for cover.
"Hurry!" Orders Boromir quickly glancing at me.

The Fellowship scrambled to gather their things, and Sam put out the fire. The others hid behind rock outcroppings and under bushes. But as I went to follow my foot caught on a loose rock and I tumbled sideways right next to a bush. Just my luck, but before I could get the breath back to drag myself under the bush and arm snaked out, dragging me under the cover of the greenery. As I laid there I could feel the person breathing in my ear and realised my hood had slid a bit. Reaching up silently I quickly pulled it further over my face keeping it from view. Once the birds had gone I pushed myself out from under the bush and knelt down, examining my ankle. Upon seeing that no harm was done by the rock I rose to see Legolas next to me. I nodded in thanks and turned to leave when he grabbed my arm. I turned and looked at him, well his chest as he was much taller than me with the added help of a higher ledge. Hearing a grunt I turned to see my father rise, watching us with a sour look on his face I smiled and moved towards him shaking off Legolas' grip.
"Spies of Saruman! The passage South is being watched." Gandalf cried so we could all hear. "We must take the Pass of Caradhras."
I groaned silently as I looked up at the snowy peak of the mountain. I hated snow.