Chapter 12

Third person POV

As the riders clatter to a stop Eowyn approaches to speak to her king whilst looking around. She looks upset and rightly so, many were lost in the battle.

"So few. So few of you have returned."

"Our people are safe. We have paid for it with many lives." Théoden answers firmly but silently, glancing catiously at Aragorn's daughter being helped from the horse by the blonde elf. Gimli walks to Eowyn.

"My lady..."

She looks at him before asking wearily. "Lord Aragorn, where is he?"

"He fell..." Gimli looks down before glancing at Linwaethiel. Eowyn is shocked and looks at Théoden in disbelief before looking at Linwaethiel who looks utterly broken as she leans heavily on Legolas. He looks worried before asking where he can put the lady for some silent rest. He quickly rushes after someone who shows them a way. He leads the lady through the many halls inside and enter her room. He turns to her and slowly reaches out to remove her cloak to give her some air on her face. Quicker than expected her hands grab his wrist stopping his motions and he quickly retracts them when she allows it.

"Do you need anything my lady?" he asks quietly, watching her slowly crumble. Hearing his voice she seems to stiffen before shaking her head and walking over to a chair by a window and settling it not looking at him once. He takes this as his queue and leaves. He returns to the kings side.

"The night grows weary." Legolas nods in agreement before he steels his expression.

"You could have handled the situation better, King of Rohan." Théoden turns to him anger written on his face in clear signs.

"No I could not elf. I lost people in that battle as well." Legolas snorted, an action unusual for elves to do.

"She lost the only family she had. He is the only one here who understands her."

"She has other ways to communicate, elf. She will handle it. Everyone loses family in war. Sleep tonight, it may be one of the last peaceful night for a while. With that Théoden King departed passing Gimli who stood still.

"Well that went well." Gimli said grimly and looked up to the window that was Linwaethiels. Her form could be clearly seen as she silently sat watching the horizon. The two companions decided to turn in for night and departed to their rooms.

~~~~~~~

The next morning the two companions awoke to a commotion and quickly ran down the top level to see what it was. Reaching the courtyard they hear Aragorn's name being whispers and Gimli growls loudly.

"Where is he! Where is he! Get out of my way! I'm gonna kill him! You are the luckiest, the cunningest, and most reckless man I ever knew!" Gimli embraces Aragorn. "Bless you, laddie!"

"Gimli, where is the king?" The dwarf quickly points and Aragorn rushes forwards before he runs into Legolas.

"Le abdollen." (You're late.) The two friends smile at each other before Legolas looks over the ranger. "You look terrible."

Aragorn laughs and puts his hand on Legolas shoulder. Eowyn sees them and watches as Legolas gives Aragorn Arwen's Evenstar.

"Hannon le." (Thank you.) Aragorn says before glancing around. "Where is Linwaethiel?"

Legolas motions for him to follow and the three rush off.

Aragorn's POV

What have I done? I promised her I wouldn't leave. She must believe I'm dead. I follow Legolas quickly and watch as he reaches to open a door. Reaching past him I burst through and see my daughter sitting in a chair by the window. Her hood pulled far over her head, hiding her face from everyone.