Chapter 7

After Galadriel's warning, "The quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail to the ruin of all." We were given a place to rest and recuperate. Sitting down for the first time in days, realised just how tired I was and sank down before I felt a familiar twinge in my side. I lifted the hem of my tunic the see the wound seeping blood and cried out silently as I shifted, the air stinging the raw skin around it.
Walking past Boromir saw this and cried out to Aragorn quickly coming over and pulling a price of cloth from a pack beside me and soaking it in water. He held it against my side until, Aragorn rushed up. Lifting away the cloth he showed the long gash to Aragorn who glared at me.
"How long have you had the injury?"
I paused before gesturing back. Since the fight in the chamber... I think.
He sighed before reaching into his back and coming out with a bandage motioning to Boromir he took over and wrapped my wound.
"You're meant to mention your injuries to your father." I stuck my tongue out and kept my hands still deciding to remain silent. Aragorn turned to look me in the eye. "You know it'd be easier to communicate if you chose to speak."
I glared at him before getting up, briefly pausing to create agitated words with my hands. You know why I do not speak. I cannot and will not use my words again.
I know you fear speaking Linwaethiel, but sometimes it's necessary, to alert others of potential a danger.
I glared at him before I turned away and rolled out my blankets, laying down, keeping my back to the group my weapons laying beside me. Feeling my eyes shut I listened to Aragorn speak to Boromir before a succumbed to sleep.

~~~~~~

Waking up in the middle of the night I looked around at the sleeping Fellowship. Feeling my hood slip back I grabbed it, quickly covering my face in shadow. Hearing a grunt I whipped around to the noise seeing Gimli roll over in his sleep. Rising from my place on the ground I softly stepped over my fathers sleeping form and trotted off. I wandered for a hour before I found a pool of crystal clear water. I looked around before slipping off my cloak and quickly undressing. Slipping in I relaxed in the water and carefully unwrapped my side. Dried blood slowly washed of my ribs and the cut could be seen. Reaching up I released my dark red hair letting it float in the water. After half an hour I stepped out and redressed my wound pulling my clothes on gently and slipping my cloak on but leaving my cloak down. Stepping sideways I sat down on a tree stump and pulled my hair to the side carefully plaiting it before carefully twisting it up on my head. Tucking the end in I stood up looking up as I saw the first rays of sun kiss the top of the trees. I slipped my hood up and returned to the rest of the Fellowship now awake and preparing to leave.
An hour later we are standing in a line on the shore being cloaked in the cloaks of the Elves. Seeing my elf step towards me a bow my head keeping my face hidden as he fastens the cloak around my neck. Stepping back he remains silent but his eyes regard me with caution as many elves do as I carry myself with the air of an elf yet my countenance and attitude are those of a ranger. Elves prepare for the departure of the Fellowship, Legolas is among them, shifting parcels into a set of boats provided by the Galadhrim. He holds up a thin wafer for Merry and Pippin to see, as they sit in a boat.
"Lembas! Elvish Way-bread. One small bite is enough to fill the stomach of a grown man." The hobbits look at each other before whispering.
"How many did you eat?"
"Four." Pippin burps and I snigger at the never ending stomach of hobbits.
"Every league you travel south, the danger will increase. Mordor Orcs now hold the eastern shore of the Anduin." Celeborn warns and I turn to watch as my father blimps into a boat with Frodo and Sam. Legolas helps Gimli onboard and motions me over smirking and offering me his hand. Ignoring him I step into the boat and settle myself behind Gimli feeling the Prince of Mirkwood sit behind me and pick up the paddle. We set of and start travelling down the river. I keep my face forward and down keeping it from view of the others. Pulling out sword I was given by Galadriel I look at the detail. The sword is longer than my long knives, silver with an ivory handle with golden veined details in it. I put it down when I feel Legolas poke me. Turning slightly I see him offer me the paddle and I take over pushing the boat forwards.
"I have taken my worst wound at this parting, having looked my last upon that which is fairest. Haugh, henceforth I will call nothing fair unless it be her gift to me." I hear Gimli sigh before me.
"What was it?" Legolas questioned e dwarf leaning forwards making me uncomfortable. I shifted, making the boat rock but stopped once I felt the Prince smirk. Gritting my teeth I slapped the surface of the water with the paddle causing water to splash at Legolas.
Unaware of the events behind him, Gimli answers, "I asked her for one hair from her golden head. She gave me three."
I smile and imagine her kind smile framed by her golden hair.