Chapter 18

Linwaethiel's POV

Later that night I sat beside Eomer, as we were beside Eowyn. I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up to see my Father. I smile at him before I shift backwards, my hand in Eomer's pulling him back as well. Kneeling down Aragorn holds her arm and treats the wound from the Witch-King's touch. Watching the black disappear Eomer leans forward. As we look on as Eowyn wakes up and Eomer moves past Aragorn to kneel down beside her and they start talking in hushed tones. I step away from my father and start heading for the exit of the healing house. I stop when I see a familiar face. The man I saved that day in Osgiliath. He frowns slightly as he looks at me before he turns away to talk to a warrior. I feel a hand on my shoulder as my father had followed me.

"That is Faramir, the late Steward's second son, brother of Boromir." I pale and I lean further into Aragorn's arm. He notices and looks down at me. "Linwaethiel, what is it? You have never behaved like this before."

"Faramir is the person I saved in Osgiliath. The reason that pulled me away from you. I could not remain with you." I looked up at him, the pain evident in my eyes as I remembered Boromir. Unable to speak anymore due to a lump in my throat I gesture with my hands. Until now, I had not known if he had survived. Now that I know he is Boromir's brother I wonder what would have happened if he hadn't survived.

Aragorn smiled down at me in sympathy and we walked out of the healing house. He removed his arm and we walked side by side through the city of Minas Tirith. We enter the palace at the top and walk through the halls to a balcony. When we arrive Aragorn turns to me.

What happened in Osgiliath? He gestures with his hands, in case of any listening ears.

I was shot in the retreat from Osgiliath. I was shot by five arrows. After that I joined the fight here and rode out, but I was struck by an arrow again. I've gotten idle, I would not normally have been hit. Especially with that many arrows. I looked over the view from the balcony as my father silently watched me, picking out small details. Suddenly he reaches out for my hair, the unwashed muss showing the unevenness of the cut.

"Linwaethiel, what happened to your hair?" He sounded angry and I know it is not at me, but at the thought of something happening to me. I step back, effectively pulling my hair from his grip. Turning away I fiddled with the hair falling over my shoulder from my ponytail. I felt Aragorn grip my elbow and turn me. Tears I hadn't noticed fell down my cheeks and he pulled me into his arms. I sobbed into his chest, the terror I'd felt that time and kept hidden for over a day coming out in body wracking sobs. He strokes my hair and I feel myself calm down. I look up into his eyes and step back, coughing uncomfortably. My back twinging from the many injuries.

Because of my hood being destroyed my hair was lose. I was trying to help some people that were stuck in a house but was thrown backwards. An orc arrived and instead of killing me, he dragged me through the city by my hair. He dragged me to a courtyard. They were slaughtering people. I couldn't let them do that, so I cut my hair before I killed every one of the orcs present. Aragorn looked at me before he hugged me again. Hearing a cough we looked over and saw Legolas standing with his back to us. I glance away as Aragorn gives me a final squeeze, murmuring for me to get some rest. I nod and watch as he leaves with Legolas.

Reaching my room I wash off the blood and gore, a young woman comes in to look at my wounds before wrapping them. I dressed myself in a nightgown before I settled on my least injured side and let sleep take over.

~~~~~~~

The next day the council convenes in the throne room, I sit upon the steps twirling a knife in my hands as Gimli slouches in the black chair at the foot of the steps.