Chapter 14

We stopped for a short break close to Edoras. I can feel the question on everyone's tongue, yet none dare to speak. I sat away from everyone ignoring my father's attempts at getting my attention. I sat in silence, staring off into the distance when I felt someone sit next to me. I knew without turning who it was.

"I think it is time we told everyone, what Saruman spoke of." I turned to him finally lifting my head enough to show my eyes. He shifted before turning to the others who wondered up to us.

"Linwaethiel," my father begins, "you have to tell us. What did Saruman do?"

"Saruman is a very cunning enemy. His movement have remained hidden for centuries. But what he did all those years ago I known only to a few. Linwaethiel, Galadriel and I. I believe Elrond has been told but others- No they do not know." Gandalf said quietly looking sideways at me.

"It is a long tale and we do not have time for details. Year ago when Linwaethiel was but a young elf, no more than 3 in human years she stumbled upon Saruman, the White Wizard, and made the gravest of mistakes. She told the White wizard where her parents were and he sent warg riders to kill them. But not before telling her that she had broken the spell protecting their home by revealing their location." I had started crying while he told the tale. "It seems, Saruman knew of a gift both Linwaethiel and her father possessed. One which in the possession of the enemy can prove to be a great advantage."

"And what is this gift you speak of, Oh Wise One?" Théoden asked looking at me. I met his eyes and looked away.

The gift to enter the minds of whomever I choose. I spoke for the first since the tower. My voice whispering through their mind and causing many to step back, unprepared. Gandalf smiled before placing a hand on my shoulder.

"You possess another, one which even you don't know of." I looked over at him, my eyes wide.

"Yes." Gandalf said looking me in the eyes as a strong wind blew the hood back. My eyes brightened and seemed to glow golden as images fluttered across my mind. The crown of the king. The ring of power falling. And a small child with blonde hair and golden eyes. I looked Gandalf in the eye and nodded slowly.

"Yes, yes. The gift that Saruman most craved. The gift to see what may be or what is happening, through the eyes of others." Many took steps backwards seeming shocked by this new information.

"So you could have warned me of what was to come on our travel to Helm's Deep!" The kings anger set in and he yelled at me. I stood in anger turning to face him. Seeing my expression he took a step back and I saw an image of me flicker through his mind. My red hair, blood red falling freely down my back and my golden eyes flashing. This image had for years instilled fear in my enemies and now showed a secret strength which many had forgotten or never known.

"I would not challenge her, King Théoden, she is of ancient blood." My father siad calmly. I looked ever and saw him and Gandalf exchanging glances. I frowned confused when Aragorn continued, this time looking at me. "Your parents, I am told, were of an ancient elven royal bloodline. Which one, we do not know, but to all extents you are a royal in the eyes of men."

My eyes widened as I looked at Gandalf. "Yes, I have been looking into this. The Lady Galadriel knows much but of which blood she knows not."

I looked down before looking up again, my voice rang out loud in the minds of those around me. My voice is not cursed? Aragorn looks at me before walking over and wrapping an arm around me.

"No, no its not. But maybe it's better if you don't speak for now. The men seem to be... a little dazed." I looked up and smiled, seeing many of them staring at me. I quickly picked out that my speaking made them uncomfortable, unused to hearing my voice, which like many elves, was clear and pure. Something many men were entranced by. I nodded and pulled my hood up, smiling at the comfort it brought me and the silence which I protected myself and other with, like an unpierceable armour that made enemies uncomfortable. I stood from my seat and stepped towards my horse pulling myself up and settling in the saddle, the discomfort of a long ride causing my legs to tense up. Eomer trotted up next to and struck up a halted conversation, his hands unused to the words they form. I laughed at him and helped where he needed and taught him knew words by whispers through his mind. He had quickly become a good friend to me and made an effort to learn my way of speaking. I took comfort in his company and teased him about his childhood. He asked me how I knew and I pointed to his head laughing at his expression. The moment was broken by the kings call and we all set off to Edoras once again. And once again my silence was put into place as a protective armour.