Chapter 11

I followed the men on foot, keeping close to my father. My knives knocked uncomfortably against my chest but I kept silent, grimacing every time they hit against my ribs. Aragorn must have noticed my discomfort as he signalled me to put it in the pack on the horse. I did as I was told and removed them from under my cloak. The wind picked up and I noticed Théoden pausing to look back on his home. I felt for him, leaving his home, possibly never to see it again. Many of the men shared this expression and I remained silent under my hood as I kept a silent watch on the surrounding people. a woman stumbled slightly the basket in her arms spilling on to the ground, quickly jogging over I bent down and picked up her things putting them back in her basket. She seemed weary but smiled nonetheless. I smiled back but my hood covered it as I made my way back to my fathers side.

We remained at a constant speed, quick for human legs but slow for the horses. As we walked many tired quickly but the stories of female dwarves keep our small company entertained.

"It's true you don't see many dwarf women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, they are often mistaken for dwarf men." Gimli spoke loudly to Eowyn who glances back at Aragorn.

Motioning to his chin he whispers. "It's the beards."

I snigger loudly as the dwarf continues unaware of the whispering. "And this in turn has given rise to the belief that there are no dwarf women. And the dwarves just spring out of holes in the ground!"

Both Eowyn and the dwarf laugh as Gimli exclaims. "Which is of course ridiculous. Whoa!"

Suddenly breaking the cheery attitude Gimli's horse starts forwards causing the dwarf to fall from his horse. Jumping up he looks around and notice me laughing silently, my shoulders shaking slightly.

"It's all right! It's all right. Nobody panic. That was deliberate. It was deliberate." I laugh as he is helped up on to his horse once again, still muttering about the deliberate actions. I feel eyes on me and turn to see the Elf prince watching me with cold eyes. I turn away as I feel a change in the air. I glance over the horizon suddenly feeling to open out here.

Later we are camped out on the grassland and I was silently watching my father conversing with Eowyn.

"I made some stew. It isn't much, but it's hot." She offers him a bowl and spoon.

"Thank you." He tastes and looks up at her, trying not to grimace, I snort at his expression and start silently laughing as I nibble a piece of bread the woman from earlier had given me.

he nods. "Mmm. It's good."

"Really?"

"Mmm." I laugh again as Eowyn begins to walk away and Aragorn turns to pour out the stew, but Eowyn turns around casing him to recover, spilling some on his hand. This time a small giggle sound come from between my lips and he quickly glances at me a smirk on his face.

"My Uncle told me a strange thing. He said that you rode to war with Thengel, my grandfather. But he must be mistaken."

"King Théoden has a good memory. He was only a small child at the time."

"Then you must be at least sixty. Seventy? But you cannot be eighty!"

"Eighty-seven." I laugh out loud at her expression, shocking myself as I quickly stop, getting to my feet and walking away as their conversation continues.

"You are one of the Dúnedain. A descendant of Númenor, blessed with long life. It was said that your race had passed into legend."

"There are few of us left. The Northern Kingdom was des - " I don't hear the rest as I disappear around a rock. After sitting on a rock for a few minutes my father comes to join me.