Chapter 10

In my dream I see black gates and I feel my heart rate increase. I feel as if I'm there and when I hear a voice slither past my ear I turn to see three creatures crouched behind rocks.
"The Black Gate of Mordor!" An ugly creature says, his voice making me cringe away, instantly distrustful.
Another creature raises its head and I see the golden locks of Sam's hair. "My old Gaffer would have a thing or two to say if he saw this."
The horrible creature speaks again and I creep closer. "Master says show him the way into Mordor, so good Sméagol does, master says so."
I look over at the other person the creature Smeagol spoke to and saw Frodo. He looked tired and heavy, as if he hadn't been sleeping. He looks at Smeagol before answering.
"I did." I shiver realising what their idea is. Looking back into the distance is see a huge tower with an orange ball of fire sitting on top, my whole being trembles as it runs to look at me. Sauron!
I gasp awake feeling a hand on my shoulder.
"Shhhh, hush Linwaethiel, it was just a dream." Seeing my fathers face I crumble gripping his tunic as I tremble tears come out as I hear myself mumble.
"He saw me. He saw me. He's coming for me." I feel my fathers arms being wound around me as he calmly questions.
"Who? My little elleth. Who is coming for you?" Not having the strength of mind to answer out loud I whisper the word in his mind.
Sauron. Feeling him stiffen I sob once more as he slowly shuffles back to look at me. The night is still dark but a small fire lights up his features enough for me to notice the concern and worry in his eyes.
"He will not touch you. Nor will he ever get to you. I will make sure of that." Hearing those words once more a memory floats back into my mind. I sob louder before I look at Aragorn.
Please. Please don't leave me. He looks surprised before hugging me again.
"I won't, you know that Lin. What brought this eh? Is this about what happened before I found you?" Not looking up I nod into his chest as his arms tighten. "I will not leave you. That I promise. But if needed I will need to part with you but only to keep you safe, do you understand."
I nod again before he continues. "You haven't had night terrors like these since you were a young elleth, I thought for sure you'd get over them. Hmmm... especially as you have the sword skills of an ancient well trained elf warrior."
He lightened the mood and I laughed softly looking up at him as he stroked a lose hair behind my ear. "You are strong, remember that. You are no longer the little child that could not protect her parents. You are you and any enemy should think twice before attacking you."
I answered his smile with one of my own as he got up. "Try to get some sleep, we leave at first light."
I nod quietly before turning away, letting sleep overcome my battered mind.

~~~~~~~

The next day we were riding heavily and approach a ridge. Upon the ridge we see Edoras. Sitting upon Shadowfax Gandalf is the first to speak.
"Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld. There dwells Théoden, King of Rohan, whose mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Théoden is now very strong. Be careful what you say. Do not look for welcome here."
As we reach to walls of Edoras a flag rips off the pole and floats down, landing near Aragorn and I. I look down at it feeling a sick feeling growing in my stomach. What powers are lurking within these walls. We carry on an approach the hall all the while receiving sidelong looks from the villagers. As we receive more suspicious looks I can hear Gimli Mutter from behind Legolas.
"You'll find more cheer in a graveyard." I smile sadly, agreeing with him.
As we approach the doors guards step in front of us.
A guard i recognise as the young boy Hama speaks first. "I cannot allow you before Théoden king so armed, Gandalf Grayhame. By order of... Gríma Wormtongue."
With a nod from Ganfalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli give their many weapons to the guards. I hesitate before receiving a pointed look from Gandalf. I reach beding my back and pull my long knives out and hand them to a guard before quickly shoving my bow and quiver at him whilst he is still unprepared. I reach forward and remove the belt across my chest holding all of my throwing knives, before sliding the knives from my waist out. The guards all raise their eyebrows at me, shocked at the amount of weapons I carry. I smirk beneath my hood and see Hama giving me a sceptical look before turning to Gandalf.
"Your staff."
"Eh? Oh. No, you would not part an old man from his walking stick?" Hama thinks a moment, gives Gandalf a knowing look, then allows him to pass. Gandalf winks and takes Legolas' hand as they enter the hall. As I walk past Hama I glance quickly at him and see him regarding me with a suspicious frown. Lifting the edge of my hood the frown changes to a shocked look as he recognises me. Choosing to deal with greetings later I follow the others.
When we enter I see a dark haired man at the King's side. My forehead furrows as I see him lean in to talk to the king.
"My lord. Gandalf the Grey is coming. He is a herald of woe."
Choosing to ignore the man, Gandalf looks around. "The courtesy of your hall is somewhat lessened of late, Théoden King."
Hearing movement behind me I turn to see the guards following, I move slightly so that I am between them and the wizard always.
"He is not welcome." The man by the kings side continues.
The king manages to breathe out a response to Gandalf and I cringe at the weakness I see in his face. "Why should I welcome you, Gandalf Stormcrow?"
"A just question my liege." This man is really starting to bug me and I feel my hands close into fists as the man stands up.
"Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear. Lathspell I name him. Ill news is in ill guest."
Gandalf, obviously agreeing with me, angrily raises his staff. "Be silent! Keep your forked tongue behind you teeth. I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm!"
"His staff!" The man cries stumbling backwards. "told you to take the wizard's staff!"
The guards rush us and I join Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas to fight them off, allowing Gandalf to walk to Théoden. One of the king's guards moves to draw his sword, but is stopped by Hama.
"Théoden, Son of Théngel. Too long have you sat in the shadows."
Gimli knocks down on the dark haired man and puts a foot on his chest. "I would stay still if I were you."
"Harken to me! I release you from the spell."
Théoden laughs a guttural laugh looking at a Gandalf. "You have no power here Gandalf the Grey."
The King continues laughing as Gandalf throws aside his grey robe, revealing his white clothes. Théoden, startled, leans back in his throne.
"I will draw you, Saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound." Gandalf points his staff at Théoden, who squirms in his throne. All fighting has ceased to watch the events unfold.
Théoden cries out and I see a you woman rush in and tries to go to Théoden, but is stopped by Aragorn. I watch as Aragorn murmurs something to her and she stops struggling.
Saruman's voice, turn to watch Théoden speak. "If I go — Théoden dies."
Gandalf again points at Théoden with his staff, and the King flies against his throne.
"You did not kill me. You will not kill him."
"Rohan is mine!"
"Be gone!" Gandalf shout and Théoden jumps up at Gandalf, yelling, but flies back. The woman rushes to Théoden, whose face begins to change, and soon he looks normal again.
"I know your face." I hear the king quietly mutter looking at the blonde woman."Eowyn — Eowyn."
Turning forwards he sees the wizard. "Gandalf?"
"Breathe the free air again, my friend."
"Dark have been my dreams of late." Théoden answers.
"Your fingers would remember their old strength better — if they grasped your sword."
Hama brings the King his sword and Théoden draws it. Théoden examines his sword, then turns his gaze towards a cowering dark haired man. He grabs ahold of him dragging him from the hall and we all rush to follow. The dark haired man is thrown out of the hall, and rolls down the stairs.
"Argh! I've only ever served you my lord."
"Your leechcraft would have had me crawling on all fours like a beast!" The king roars back.
"Send me not from your side!" The man pleads. Théoden raises his sword to kill the man, but is stopped by Aragorn.
"No my lord! Let him go. Enough blood has been spilt on his account."
Aragorn holds out his hand to the man on the ground who spits on it and runs off through the crowd.
After watching him disappear Aragorn turned to Théoden. "Hail, Théoden, King!"
The crowd kneels before the King and I follow feeling my thigh twinge but ignore it.
"Where is Théodred? Where is my son?" I look up as the king calls out for his son and feel sadness take over as I realise he must either be injured or dead.
Later that day we stand outside as the kings son is buried. Eowyn, who I found out is Eomer's sister sings, her voice carrying the sadness through the air on the wind.

~~~~~~~

It is not until later that the somber mood lightens as we all sit within the hall eating. The two children that were found earlier are eating, Eowyn by their side.
"They had no warning. They were unarmed. Now the Wildmen are moving through westfold, burning as they go, every rick, cot and tree."
"Where's mama?" The girl asks and I close my eyes remembering the first words I said to Aragorn.
"Hush." Eowyn says, trying to comfort them.
Gandalf sits beside Théoden where Grima once sat. I had found out the name earlier from my father who noticed my obvious confusion. "This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash. All the more potent for he is driven mad by the fear of Sauron.m Ride out and meet him head on. Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight."
Aragorn raises his voice to voice his own opinion. "You have two thousand good men riding north as we speak. Eomer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their king."
"They will be three hundred leagues from here by now! Eomer cannot help us." I frown at the kings words knowing they are true. "I know what is that you want of me. But I would not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war."
"Open war is upon you, whether would risk it or not." Aragorn retorts.
Théoden walks to Aragorn. "When last I looked, Théoden, not Aragorn, was king of Rohan."
I grit my teeth at his obvious distaste for my father p, before smoothing my features as Théoden turns to look at me, recognition in his eyes.
"Then what is the king's decision?" Gandalf asks drawing the kings attention away from me.

~~~~~~~~

The next day people gather outside as Hama calls in a loud voice.
"By order of the King, the city must empty. We make for the refuge of Helm's Deep. Do not burden yourself with treasures. Take only what provisions you need."
"Helm's Deep! They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight. Who will defend them if not their king?" Gimli exclaims as they enter the stables. I trot after them, finally comfortable as my thigh had been properly looked at the night before.
"He is only doing what he thinks is best for his people. Helm's Deep has saved them in the past." My father reasons.
Gandalf snorts. "There is no way out than that of ravine. Théoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he is leading them to safety, but what he'll get is a massacre. Théoden has a strong hold but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan."
Turning to Aragorn he looks him in the eye. "He will need you before the end, Aragorn. The people of Rohan will need you. The defenses have to hold."
"They will hold." My father says as Gandalf turns to Shadowfax.
"The Grey Pilgrim. That is what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of men I've walked this earth and now, I have no time. Good luck. My search will not be in vain."
Turning back to us he says. "Look to my coming, at first light, on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East."
"Go." Is my fathers only answer as Shadowfax sprints out of the stable. I narrowly dodge being trampled as Gandalf offers me a smile. This will not be easy. I return to saddle the horse and await my father outside. As I am waiting I see Hama come up to me.
"Long has it been since I saw you, Silent Lady." I smiled at the nickname Hama had given me as a teenager. I nodded and remained silent.
"Ever silent. Will I ever hear you voice, or shall you remain this stoic listener for all time." He grinned allowing me to know he was kidding before he turned to walk away.
Someday Hama, someday. I thought turning to stroke Hasufel's neck.