Chapter 15

Linwaethiel's POV 

Through the night, images from the tower mixed with images of Frodo, Gandalf and the tree played through my mind, plaguing my sleep. I awoke in a mood, only soured by Legolas' appearance at my door when I exited. I frowned at him from under my hood not understanding why he was there.

"Your highness, I'm here to escort you to the hall for breakfast." His voice was sarcastic, his eyes glimmering with mischief and provocation. I glared at him only more irritated by his presence before trying to move past him. He stepped in my way before bowing mockingly.

"My apologies but I really can't let a royal lady walk by herself." I growled pushing him into the wall in a quick motion and held a knife to his throat. My hood had blown back exposing my eyes glowing in anger.

"Never. Ever. Call me a royal." I shoved him into the wall before stalking off to find my father.

Finding him eating breakfast I sat down next to him with a thump, earning myself an odd look from the corner of his eye as I usually moved silently. A skill that made me lethal in battle usually. I looked up as Legolas walked in and ground my teeth.

"What's wrong?" Aragorn asked when he worked out I wouldn't bring it up myself. When I remained silent he turned to follow my line of sight and realised who the target of it was. "It is odd, how you and Legolas do not get along, but everyone else in our little Fellowship do."

I grumbled again and he continued. "What did he do?"

He called me a royal. I gestured simply.

"But you are a royal." Aragorn stated simply.

I may have blood of a royal, that does not mean I am one. If I were to believe I was a royal, I would rule alone. I have no family. You are my family, the heir to the throne of Gondor, you are royal, not I. After finishing gesturing I stood up but was paused by Aragorn's hand on my arm.

You are my family. Whether you have my blood or not you are my daughter, never forget that. What you must remember with Legolas is that, you are both elves, but you behave differently, you behave like a human. He doesn't know how to behave towards you. I stared at him for a while before I looked at Legolas. I stood up once again and walked over to Legolas sitting opposite him, my face covered in shadows.

Don't treat me as royal. I am not, nor will I ever be. It's as simple as that. Legolas stared at me, shocked. Suddenly thought from him flickered past my mind and I caught the sentence, 'She's beautiful.' I jumped up and stepped back, before quickly walking away from him. Under my hood I was blushing, something I had never experienced and it terrified me. I pulled the hood over further and decided to avoid speaking, returning back to my behaviour I had adapted since my youth, like a second skin. Opening the doors I collided with Eomer who looked surprised. In the collision her hood came off.

Pausing Eomer looked away allowing her to pull her hood up again. "You look like you need a duel."

I looked up and grinned.

Third person POV 

The two people stood opposite each other, one in Rohan armour, masculine and powerful. Opposite the other, was a hooded woman, lithe and a hidden strength that equalled the Rohan warrior. In his hand was a broad sword while the woman held twin long knives, both weapons gleaming in the sunshine. Before any the man could react, the woman dived forwards swishing her swords in matching arcs. The man's sword clashed against them and they both jumped backwards, their swords separating before the man swiped back at her and she ducked shoving her elbow into his stomach, pushing him back, before rising and swinging her leg out to push him further. He caught her leg, swiping his sword at her which she countered by knives up in a cross. He released her leg but only after throwing her across the sparring field. She landed, one knife clattering away leaving her with only one knife. She rose again, seeming not to notice her missing knife raising both hands in front of her. The warrior ran at her, thinking she was at a disadvantage and the ranger off at the side chuckled, knowing better than to look down at her.