Chapter 4

I shivers and silently muttered stomping my feet as I sunk further into the snow. Looking ahead I watched Legolas walking on top of the snow. To ensure that the knowledge of me being an elf remained unknown I was stopping my way down into the snow, unlike how I would normally walk like other elves, on the snow's surface. Turning back when I hear a grunt I see Frodo sliding down the hill only to be helped up by Aragorn. I take a step down towards them when I see Frodo scramble around looking for something. Seeing Boromir bending down and picking up the ring we all stiffen waiting to see what happens next.
Aragorn keeps looking at him and says quietly. "Boromir."
Not being able to see Boromir's face I remain where I am and silently watch the events unfold.
Boromir speaks softly, almost too quiet for me to hear. "It is a strange fate we should suffer so much fear and doubt... over so small a thing. Such a little thing."
Boromir reaches a gloved hand to touch the ring.
"Boromir!" Aragorn shouts at the same time as my voice echoes Boromir's name in his head. I gasp silently and shift back. It is not often I can reach a man's mind I do not know well.
Boromir looks up, pulled from his trance. Aragorn glances quickly at me then back to Boromir. "Give the Ring to Frodo."
The man walks slowly down the slope to the Ranger and the Hobbit. I notice Aragorn's hand is on the hilt of his sword.
Boromir holds out the Ring to Frodo and mutters. "As you wish..." Frodo does not wait, and grabs the Ring sharply and Boromir continues, "...I care not."
Boromir jokingly tousles Frodo's hair, turning to resume climbing. Frodo looks on suspiciously and I notice Aragorn releases his grip from his sword. I sigh before I turn to watch Boromir pass. As he walks past he pauses quickly to look at me. His cold eyes searching for any sign under my hood but he sees nothing and continues on. I watch him for a while before Aragorn and Frodo manage to reach me.
"What was that about?" Aragorn asks. I turn my head to look at him before waving my hand in a dismissive manner. Aragorn sighs and continues walking.

~~~~~~~~

A little while later we are hiking through deeper snow and I watch jealously as Legolas walks past on top of the snow. He runs ahead before stopping.
"There is a fell voice in the air!" He says peering into the snow.
"It's Saruman!" Gandalf cries out. Hearing a cracking I look up and see rocks tumble towards us. I feel a slight tug and fall backwards into Merry and Pippin. They are cold and getting colder. Using my arms I wrap them around them protecting them as more snow comes tumbling after the rocks.
Gandalf and my father argue backwards and forwards as Gandalf chants attempting to keep the mountain at bay. I feel the wind and snow pick up more and an avalanche falls down and buries us. I struggle to breathe and start pushing snow away from above me before feeling someone drag me out of the snow my hood hangs heavily across my face, soaked from the wet, melting snow.
Over the wind I can hear Boromir shouting.
"We must get off the mountain! Make for the Gap of Rohan and take the west road to my city!"
Aragorn shout back answering, "The Gap of Rohan takes us too close to Isengard!"
The dwarves look up before shouting back. "If we cannot pass over the mountain, let us go under it. Let us go through the mines of Moria."
Gandalf looks solemnly into the distance silent for a moment.
Gandalf looks back at us grimly. "Let the Ring bearer decide."
Boromir shouts through the snowstorm, holding Merry and Pippin to him. Both are cold and extremely pale. "We cannot stay here! This will be the death of the Hobbits!"
I keep still as Gandalf looks to Frodo.
"Frodo?"
Frodo looks at his friends then back to Gandalf. "We will go through the mines."
"So be it." Gandalf answers.

~~~~~~

"Dwarf doors are invisible when closed." Gimli states, knocking his axe against a rock. I groan silently deciding to take a seat on a rock further away from the rock wall.
Gandalf sighs looking at the wall. "Yes, Gimli, their own masters cannot find them, if their secrets are forgotten."
"Why doesn't that surprise me?" Is Legolas' snarky comment and I snigger silently watching as Gimli grumbles but says nothing.
A foot splashes into shallow water and Frodo gasps, pulling his leg back. A great pool sits beside the rock face and I realise I am sitting right next to it. Getting a nervous feeling I step back, accidentally bumping into Boromir. I glance quickly at him before moving past him further from the waters edge and sit down, removing one of my knives from the sheath and inspecting the edge.
Gandalf approaches the rock between two trees, and runs his hand over the cliff face.
"Now... let's see. Ithildin —" Beneath his hand run spidery silver lines, faint beneath the dirt. "It mirrors only starlight... and moonlight."
As he looks up at the black night sky, the moon appears. The silver lines grow bright, outling a door formed of two columns beneath an arch, with a star in the center.
"It reads 'The Doors of Durin — Lord of Moria. Speak, friend, and enter.'"
"What do you suppose that means?" Merry asks.
"Oh, it's quite simple. If you are a friend, you speak the password, and the doors will open." Gandalf states as if it's obvious. I groan silently knowing he has no clue what the password is. Looking over at me he frowns, silently telling me not the let the others catch on.
Turning back to the door he makes his first attempt, "Annon Edhellen, edro hi ammen!" (Gate of the Elves, open now for me!)
The Doors remain closed. Shocker...
He attempts again. "Fennas Nogothrim, lasto beth lammen." (Doorway of the Dwarf-folk, listen to the word of my tongue.)
"Nothing's happening." Pippin states looking from the door to Gandalf. Gandalf glances at him, looking slightly annoyed. He begins to push on the doors, but they remain fast.
"I once knew every spell in all the tongues of Elves... Men... and Orcs."
"What are you going to do, then?" Pippin asks innocently.
Finally getting irritated Gandalf turns to him and says. "Knock your head against these doors, Peregrin Took! And if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will try to find the opening words."
Pippin remains silent and backs away.
From a distance I watch Aragorn convincing Sam that the pony we brought would be fine and find its way home with no problem. I smiled at how sweet the scene was as Sam waved goodbye to the pony. I silently gestured to Aragorn and he smiled in return nodding his head. I had asked him if he had sent Bill back to Rivendell and he had. Hearing a splash I quickly turn to see Merry and Pippin throwing stones in the pool. Rising I make my way over and reach for Pippin elbow, stopping him from throwing the rock. I silently shake my head and point to the pool. He seems confused until Aragorn steps towards us, stopping Merry.
"Do not disturb the water." Both hobbits nod and I release my grip on pippins elbow.
"Oh, it's useless!" I hear from behind me and watch Gandalf as he drops his staff and sits down beside Frodo, pulling off his hat.
Meanwhile, Aragorn and Boromir watch as a ripple runs through the water. Aragorn standing beside me, knocks my elbow, nodding his head towards the pool. I look over and see the ripples as well. Slowly reaching towards my thigh I touch my knife.
Frodo stands up suddenly causing me to jump and look at him. He looks at the writing on the gateway.
"It's a riddle." My eyes widen as I realise he's right. The ring bearer continues, looking at the door. "Speak 'friend' and enter. What's the Elvish word for friend?"
"Mellon..." Gandalf says as I echo the word in my mind.
The stone doors slowly swing open, rumbling deeply. Walking towards the opening Gandalf places a crystal into the top of his staff, Aragorn follows last, casting a last glance at the water before meeting my eyes. I hang back and stand beside the hobbits at the back of the group. Moonlight floods into a shadowy chamber. And Gimli proudly walks ahead talking to Legolas.
"Soon, Master Elf, you will enjoy the fabled hospitality of the Dwarves! Roaring fires, malt beer, ripe meat off the bone. This, my friend, is the home of my cousin, Balin."
Gandalf brings his hand around his staff, blowing upon the crystal. It glows lighting up the ground and I cover my mouth to stop my gag of horror.
Gimli still does not notice and carries on. "And they call it a mine. A mine!"
Looking around Boromir declares loudly. "This is no mine, it's a tomb!"
Gandalf's light reveals rotted, broken and battered forms strewn about, casting long shadows across the room.
Finally nothing Gimli cries out. "Oh! No! Noooo!"
Legolas pulls out an arrow from the body of a fallen Dwarf, examines it and casts it away in disgust. "Goblins!"
Reaching up I pull out my bow and nock an arrow. Aragorn and Boromir draw out their swords and Legolas fits an arrow to his bow, following my motions.
Boromir calls out in a irritated whine. "We make for the Gap of Rohan. We should never have come here."
I could not have agreed more.