Chapter Seventeen

Another update for you all! Enjoy :)

****

Your eyes fluttered open and you slowly took in your surroundings. There he was again. His hands were cradling his head and he appeared to be on the verge of sleep.

Before you could think it through, you heard your scratchy voice querying "Spencer?"

His head shot up quickly, snapped instantly awake at the faintest noise. Spencer hovered over you "Yes, (Y/N)? How are you feeling?"

You smiled softly. There was just something about the sound of your name when he said it. You looked at him with a searching eye... he looked almost as bad as you felt. Dark purple circles rimmed his eyes and his clothes and hair were immeasurably ruffled. You just wanted to run your fingers through it.

Wow. How much of this medicine did they give me?

"It's freezing in here....Is that normal?"

Spencer assessed the bedsheets pulled up to your chin. "Do you feel extremely cold? Let me see your fingers."

You forfeited your hand to him, reluctantly sliding it out from under the covers. He took it gently, examining your fingernails in particular.

"You know, fingernails can actually tell someone a lot about health...." He continued on with speed, relating facts about circulation to you. Your smile grew wider and you pulled away from Spencer a bit. He looked up at you while continuing with facts, no doubt feeling a bit awkward that you shied away as you did. His eyebrows were raised a bit as he looked at you and you answered this simply:

"I'm still cold."

Spencer blushed instantaneously, eyes darting away from you. He got up from his chair slowly, sitting only on the edge of the bed at first. He stayed there for a few seconds before swinging his legs up onto the bed and lying beside you. You felt unabashed and brave, deciding to place your head on his chest. You knew that neither of you were going to stay awake for long judging by the haziness of your vision and the look of Spencer.

A knocking on the door was the next sound that woke you up. In stepped Derek Morgan with a sly smirk on his face. Reid scrambled to sit up at the sound of the door opening and closing, turning bright red and stuttering over a greeting.

"Derek? What are you doing here? I thought the team was flying back today. I told you guys that I would get (Y/N) back home after."

Morgan grinned widely at you both. "We are, pretty boy. I was just checking in before heading out. Making sure this beautiful crazy lady is doing alright." Morgan nodded at you.

You flushed a bit at the situation as well, but were noticeably less flustered due to the pain medicine you were on.

Reid started moving to stand but Morgan spoke out again with his hands up. Reid softened back into a comfortable sitting position on the bed and Morgan sat down in the chair next to it.

"How's the unsub doing?" You asked Morgan. He smiled at you, shaking his head.

"In jail. Soon sentenced to life or more without parole. How are you doing, Wonder Woman?"

You gestured with one of your hands at your abdomen. "Give me a week and I'll be ready to take another."

Morgan chuckled. "There's no need for any more of that." "Really, baby, are you okay?"

You nodded yes with a genuine smile. Morgan had a...special...way of talking. You wondered how Agent Garcia could sound so unfazed when he talked to her like this.

"Yeah, I am." you answered with confidence.

As you said this, the doctor attending to you pushed through the door with clipboard in hand, flicking one of the lights on as he came in.

"Hey Ms. (Y/L/N), how are you feeling? I'm here to take a look at your bandages and give you some directions for after you get discharged, depending on how your wound looks."

Morgan and Reid stood up and stepped out of the room as the doctor pulled back the covers and examined your wound. After he was satisfied, he stepped away and jotted down a few quick notes on his clipboard.

"Well, your sutures are holding nicely and this is on track to heal up beautifully. I think you would be safe to go home today, if you feel up to it. If not, it is perfectly fine to stay one more night."

After saying this, the doctor walked over to the door and opened it up, inviting Spencer and Derek back into the room.

"I'm assuming one of you is the boyfriend?" the doctor asked as he looked back down at his clipboard.

"When she heads back home, make sure her bandage is changed at least 3 times a day. She shouldn't be doing any excessive bending or twisting. No picking up anything. Lots of rest, continue taking the medicine twice daily with food. Lots of water is important too. No driving or decision making while you are taking the painkillers, ok?"

All three of you nodded in unison, watching as they doctor spout out directions.

"I'll check back in a few hours if you decide to stay. If not, come back and see me or another doctor to get your sutures checked on in 3-5 days. Call if anything seems off or you experience intense discomfort."

"Thanks, doc." Morgan said as the Doctor gave a parting wave and left with the door open.

"How about it, (Y/N)? Feeling up to a flight back this afternoon?"

You considered it briefly. "Definitely. I'm not the biggest fan of hospitals."

Derek smiled. "Sounds good. Reid, I'll see you two later. Let me know if you need anything." Morgan left and Reid continued standing over you. A nurse walked in and you informed her that you felt ready to leave when she asked if you wanted to proceed with the discharge. You were unhooked from the IV and all the beeping machines as the nurse gave you directions for what to do with your gown and slippers.

"Another nurse will meet you out by the front desk with a wheelchair ready to go. Doctor wants you to keep the walking to a minimum for the next 72 hours."

Your paperwork was handed over and you and Reid were left alone in the room once more.