Chapter Thirty-Three

You curled up with Spencer under the comforter and he fell asleep after a while. You weren't as lucky; rest seemed impossible for you, despite having had barely any in the past few days. When you were sure that Spencer was asleep, you quietly got out of bed and hunted down your cell phone, entering your password and calling Samantha before you even knew your own intentions.

"(Y/N)?" Samantha answered on the second ring.

"How is he? How are you?" You didn't bother with anything other than directness. Your lungs felt as though they were in a permanent state of contraction and would never inflate again as you waited for her answer.

"He's...He's okay." Her voice cracked. "I — I need you. His parents just got here and I —- Can I come to your place? Oh god, I..." A sob escaped Samantha's voice.

"Of course you can, I'll call you an uber right now and meet you in the apartment lobby when you get here. Deep breaths, okay?"

Another sob came, followed by a shaky breath. "I'll see you soon." She said faintly.

"I love you, your car will be there in a second."

You called the Uber to your place and Samantha was there in ten minutes. You chastised yourself for a moment for not insisting that her detail come, but whatever was wrong sounded severe enough to earn her ten minutes of semi-privacy. You pulled on sweats and attached your ankle holster and 0.22, anxiety courtesy of the past 24 hours.

Samantha wordlessly walked up to you and took your hand. You walked to the elevator and took the short ride up to your floor before getting out and making your way into the apartment. You left the bedroom door shut, hoping that Spencer would be shielded from the majority of the noise and light.

Samantha collapsed into your arms as soon as the front door shut.

"What's wrong? Talk to me Samantha!" Panic mounted within you, but you did your best to shove it back down into the depths of your stomach so as not to scare her more than she obviously already was.

"I couldn't —- couldn't say anything — in front of his parents, and..." A guttural sound escaped her throat and your visceral reaction let you know something was terribly wrong with her.

"(Y/N), I was... I was - was pregnant. I — I'm miscarrying."

Tears sprung to your eyes, and nothing you did could prevent them from spilling over in torrents. Samantha was crying, and you both sat on the ground bawling, your tears mixing with each other's as you clasped her. You couldn't tell if it had been minutes or hours before all the tears had been collectively cried out and you both were practically dry heaving as sobs racked your bodies.

Your embrace didn't waver; your grip on her couldn't loosen. You'd never experienced what she was going through in this moment — You had to find some way to show her that you were there for her, and the only way you could do that right now was by never letting her go.

"The bleeding wouldn't stop .... He never even knew ... I was going to tell him and then..."

Her words were muffled by your sweatshirt, which she had her face pressed up against.

"I didn't even say anything — I couldn't...with everyone there...and..." she gasped for air before continuing.

"And I just had to leave...I — I'm an awful person..."

You pushed her back lightly and held her at arm's length for a few moments.

"Samantha... You are not awful. He's stable, and recovering, and has his parents there. You're allowed to recover too, so you're going to sleep here tonight. Let me get you some new pants and underwear, okay?"